• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

1d classic service manual...

Does anyone have one of these? I've got a 1D classic that the dial on the back has stopped working on...help!! I don't want to send it off, because I've heard about turnaround times from 7-10 days to 4-6 weeks...unacceptable, since I'm a working editorial/sports photographer...

Thanks!!

Daniel Buck

Does anyone have one of these? I've got a 1D classic that the dial on the back has stopped working on...help!! I don't want to send it off, because I've heard about turnaround times from 7-10 days to 4-6 weeks...unacceptable, since I'm a working editorial/sports photographer...

Thanks!!

this may sound silly, but if this is the first time shooting with a 1-series camera, you may not know this. There's an on/off switch for the back dial, if it's off, the dial won't function. It's above and just slightly to the left of the big dial.

I apologize if you're already familiar with the camera and this is not the problem :-D

Thien Le

I wanted to tell him the same thing but I think he's a "professional" and been shooting with the 1D for a while now LOL... didnt want to offend him keke

Yeah, guys, been shooting with this for quite a while, along with a Mark III...the switch was definitely on. I actually fixed that dial myself.

I wanted to tell him the same thing but I think he's a "professional" and been shooting with the 1D for a while now LOL... didnt want to offend him keke

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Yeah, guys, been shooting with this for quite a while, along with a Mark III...the switch was definitely on. I actually fixed that dial myself.

Well Michael,

What was wrong and how did you solve the problem is it wasn't just the switch?

for me it usually is that I have the switch half way up. Then I think, "Dummy, you said you'd not do it again!"

Actually, the switch had nothing to do with my problem at all. I had to take the camera back off, take off the dial, and look for broken tracers or connections...found at least one, soldered it back and it works at least as well as it did before!

Well Michael,

What was wrong and how did you solve the problem is it wasn't just the switch?

for me it usually is that I have the switch half way up. Then I think, "Dummy, you said you'd not do it again!"

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Now that's a great handy fellow. The only other guy that I know who does that is will Thompson here. He's replaced a mirror, I believe on a Canon DSLR. He routinely upgrades his Norman flashes with with cards to receive Pocket Wizard signals and repaired a 200 1.8 using an US motor from a 70-200! His Polarod 8x10 processor, (yes he has film!!) runs battery powered using the motor slavaged from a power drill!

I must say you two handy guys would be a useful guy to have around on an expedition!

Asher

Daniel Buck

Ok, just checking :D haha! Sorry, didn't mean to sound like I was trying to insult you. :) Sometimes when frustrated, the obvious can be the last thing seen :)

Glad you got it working again! :)

Mr. Buck,

No problem, and no insult taken...if what you wrote insulted me, then I have bigger problems!! LOL Thanks for contributing...

Michael

Ok, just checking :D haha! Sorry, didn't mean to sound like I was trying to insult you. :) Sometimes when frustrated, the obvious can be the last thing seen :)

Glad you got it working again! :)

Mr. Kelman,

I do a lot of that kind of thing! Thanks for the compliment.

Now that's a great handy fellow. The only other guy that I know who does that is will Thompson here. He's replaced a mirror, I believe on a Canon DSLR. He routinely upgrades his Norman flashes with with cards to receive Pocket Wizard signals and repaired a 200 1.8 using an US motor from a 70-200! His Polarod 8x10 processor, (yes he has film!!) runs battery powered using the motor slavaged from a power drill!

I must say you two handy guys would be a useful guy to have around on an expedition!

Asher