• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

American Crocodile in Costa Rica

I have led several Photography Workshops to Costa Rica (my next one is Feb. 26-March 8, 2010 - see link below), and while birds are my usual favorite subjects, I thought I'd post something a little more 'cold-blooded'!

One of my favorite things to do is the boat ride on the Tarcoles River on the Pacific Coast. We usually see a wide variety of birds, but also encounter the American Crocodile near the river's mouth. This was taken from the boat, as we headed toward this croc who in turn was heading towards the water.

Canon 1DMk2, 600L/f4 IS with 1.4x II Teleconverter
ISO 800, f/5.6, 1/1600 second

I was shooting wide open, and wanted a fast shutter speed, considering both the effective focal length, along with the movement and vibration of the boat.

1D2_05076.jpg

Comments, criticism always welcome.

Eric Diller

Fantastic capture Don!! So clear it looks like I am really there!
I visit Costa Rica 2-3 times a year...surfing mostly but always time for the nature.
I have been down the Tarcoles River several times on the Crock tour! Awesome ride to go on!
The Costa Rican that was guiding our group jump out of the boat with a chicken (dead one) and starting smacking the water with it. Soon we had the photo of a life time (for me anyway) of a 15 ft.+ Crock leaping out of the water and snatching the chicken right from his hands. Going to search my files, you got to see this crazy man!!

Once again great capture on your part......May need to join you for a run to Costa one day!

Thanks, Sandra & Eric.

Eric - I've heard of those guides who feed the crocs by hand, and seen some photos. While I have to admit that will make for some unique photos, most naturalists and guides will condemn that kind of behavior, as harmful to both the crocs and humans. But I'd still like to see your photos!

And definitely join me on one of my Costa Rica tours - as mentioned, my next one is Feb. 26-March 8. You can check my site for the details, but the last 4 nights will be at a fantastic place on the southern Pacific coast - Tiskita Lodge.

Let me know!!

Eric Diller

Thanks, Sandra & Eric.

Eric - I've heard of those guides who feed the crocs by hand, and seen some photos. While I have to admit that will make for some unique photos, most naturalists and guides will condemn that kind of behavior, as harmful to both the crocs and humans. But I'd still like to see your photos!

And definitely join me on one of my Costa Rica tours - as mentioned, my next one is Feb. 26-March 8. You can check my site for the details, but the last 4 nights will be at a fantastic place on the southern Pacific coast - Tiskita Lodge.

Let me know!!

From a trip a few years back on the Tarcoles. Lighting was horrible that day but the action was great!
I agree Don, feeding the Wildlife is unhealthy for all involved.
Crazy Costa Rican!!!! To much glass for this shot, couldn't fit the whole beast in the frame
137751352_KLJji-O.jpg

137753550_3EFdy-O.jpg

137753380_y5Jog-O.jpg

137753223_dWWJC-O.jpg