• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

MacDonald's solves a problem

Here's how a kosher McDonald's (in Israel) manages to offer you a milkshake or ice cream cone with your burger and fries or chicken McNuggets.

67214690.jpg

The sign in the middle says "new -- Ice Cream Stand!." Unfortunately, the cheeseburger problem will require further research.

scott

Mary Bull

Scott, it's a great scene.

I'll take the cheeseburger and the ice cream both!

But then, I mix meat and dairy as a matter of course, being from a different culture--can't help it, I'm a South Texas WASP.

Mary
(where it's getting on for suppertime and you've put me in the mood, just as vernacular photography ought to! )

Don Lashier said:
How do they deal with mayo?

- DL

Aha, you were trained in math, not chemistry! Mayo is made from oil and lemon (and eggs?). No milk, no problem. Most kosher McD's just serve meat, and produce something they call a milkshake or soft icecream made entirely from petrochemicals. This one may seem silly, but it is a step in the right direction, requiring only a plywood partition and a second cash register.

incidentally, the link above is going to break soon, but i replaced the original with a slightly better crop, sharper print:

67246905.jpg

scott

Last edited:

Don Lashier

scott kirkpatrick said:
Aha, you were trained in math, not chemistry! Mayo is made from oil and lemon (and eggs?). No milk, no problem.

My problem is not chem not realizing that Kashrut doesn't classify eggs as dairy. Eggs in fact seem to be "cross-over" (ok with either meat or dairy). I was raised as a vegetarian (ovo-lacto) and the rules weren't nearly so complex.

- DL

Don Lashier said:
My problem is not realizing that Kashrut doesn't classify eggs as dairy.
- DL
The confusion is mostly in English, calling one of the worlds "dairy." Above the word "dairy" in the picture, it says "halavi" in Hebrew, which simply means "milky." In Yiddish, I believe it would be "milchig" with the same meaning. Vegetarian philosophies draw from an entirely different stream. Despite the arguments that Kashrut rules began as good sanitary practices, they are not so logical.

The thing I find interesting is the interaction with the community. This store and the mall it is in serves a community that has many observant people, many new immigrants, but few ultra-orthodox. The observant can go to one side or the other, the secular to both, and noone seems bothered. The ultra-orthodox would not accept it. In Tel Aviv, I think MacDonalds doesn't bother to be kosher.

scott

Don Lashier

scott kirkpatrick said:
Vegetarian philosophies draw from an entirely different stream. scott
Except for the cloven hoof thing - although it was frowned on, we were allowed meat, but not cloven. One of my earliest memories is being told at Wrigley Field that I couldn't have a hotdog. Of course as a teenager I got wicked and clandestinely had my first hotdog.

- DL

Roger Lambert

Don Lashier said:
Except for the cloven hoof thing - although it was frowned on, we were allowed meat, but not cloven. One of my earliest memories is being told at Wrigley Field that I couldn't have a hotdog. Of course as a teenager I got wicked and clandestinely had my first hotdog.

- DL
How wicked you were! ;D;D

For some reason, this reminds me of a classic episode from the old Fernwood Tonight show, with Martin Mull and Fred Willard doing their wickedly funny takeoff on the Tonight show genre.

Well, they had this guest, a young woman, very hippy-dippy, who was invited because of her new healthful diet. She went on and on about organic food, vegetarianism, eating responsibly, and then said that she was on a "high mung bean diet."

She explained the high mung bean diet ( if you know the show, you can just imagine the looks of startled terror on Martin and Fred's faces as she relayed this information to them :D )

And then she said... that she "never, never, never eats meat at all.....
except for , you know,... burgers". (Martin and Fred's eyeballs almost popped out of their heads!) :D