• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Opinions Wanted (Monkey)

Hi all,

I am a beginner photographer and this is my first post on the forum.

I'm here to learn from everyone and enjoy their work.

I will appreciate any advice and criticism from anyone.

With this image I thought I might be able to convey the impression 'man' has on the natural world. A wild monkey playing with a Sprite can seemed like quite a contrast to me.

6irwv5.jpg

Hi Rachel,

I believe I just read your inspirational story of realisation with the sunset picture of much discussion?? Look forward to seeing your new and improved sunset pix :D

That pic was taken with my Nikon D80 and 18-200mm VR DX lens.

I have since upgraded my lenses but I still have the D80. I'm waiting until my skillset can justify a body upgrade. :)

I really like the composition, and I think the image expresses very well what you were wanting to convey.

My only criticism might be on the tonality, as the image is quite dark and shadowed. Now this may be exactly what you're going for, but in case you're interested in a different take, here's a quick edit using Shadows/Highlights and Levels in Photoshop. I also tried to tone down the bright reflection in the Sprite can.

Monkey.jpg

I originally felt the overall picture lacked colour and that the background was rather dull, which led me to darken it.

I agree that the Sprite can is a little bright and distracting.

Thank you for you comments and suggestions. If I manage to improve the image further, I will repost.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Rarely do I disagree with Don as he's experience with animal photography and I find his work appealing. Here, with this monkey, I feel that the brightened version loses it's kick. The original version is more defined and contrast. The lightness of the brown central part of his face and over the nose is, to me a great loss. Also the sharpening needs to be looked at to make everything work. So I feel we're not quite there for an optimized mose finished image.

So how did you shoot it? What was the file you worked with, RAW or jpg.

Asher

Don might do a darn site better with the RAW file!

Thanks for your comments, Asher. I'll acknowledge that I had mixed feelings about my first try, as the darkness of the original image definitely sets a different mood. There's just a part of me that just wants to see everything that's there, and doesn't like anything hidden (this extends to pretty much every area of my life, not just photography!).

It was a JPEG. I am not very well versed in the techniques of editing. I often find myself just doing the simple things that can be done and accepting my fate.

Of course, I'd like to make it perfect from within the camera but that's not always possible as we all know.