• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The Happy Goat

I found this little fella in the middle of Calcutta, happily immersed in a considerable pile of rubbish.

I'm not sure if I really caught the essence of the situation but that is how I came to take this shot.

Anything to help me improve will be appreciated.

jq3txv.jpg

Rachel Foster

Wade, I like your work...but slow down! You learn as much from critiquing others' work as you do your own.

(Please note I do not speak on behalf of the Mod Squad.)

Thanks Rachel.

I guess I'm just trying to play catch up, as I've never had any opinions on any of my photos as I have had no one around me with an appreciation for photography. You know, people who just love a good happy snap with people they know in it.

I'd like to know what more I should think about when composing a photo. I often feel like I'm just guessing...........

Rachel Foster

Oh, Wade, I'm STILL like that! I can't get enough feedback on my stuff. The thing is, IF you get feedback it will often be in such depth that the critic took upwards of 30 to 60 minutes to compose and offer.

Gotcha. Thanks for the heads up.

Would it help if I posted some images with "Just Sharing" so as not to request too much time of people?

oli murugavel

Wow... I like his eyes... Nice shot Wade. Dont worry about feedbacks. Keep on working. one day the world will turn to you for sure. Keep posting more. Good job.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I found this little fella in the middle of Calcutta, happily immersed in a considerable pile of rubbish.

I'm not sure if I really caught the essence of the situation but that is how I came to take this shot.

Anything to help me improve will be appreciated.

jq3txv.jpg

Wade Skinner: The Goat

Hi Wade,

Welcome to OPF and pat on the back for your enterprise in taking the pictures and sharing. What on earth were you doing at the rubbish dump? It must be full of clouds of flies and the smell can't be too good!

What camera do you have and what were the shot conditions. Obviously it's over-exposed in the bright areas, but this can be corrected. Presumably you don't have this as a RAW file, or perhaps you do? What do you hope might be the destiny of your photography?

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

...Would it help if I posted some images with "Just Sharing" so as not to request too much time of people?
No Wade, please don't do that. If we spend our time on your pictures to provide C&C, we do it out of our own free will (like I just did with your cat picture), not because it is our job to do so. So the chances are, you do not get much C&C when people are busy with other things. If you post a picture for C&C from which we all can learn, especially when it is a good picture, you will get more reactions. "Just sharing" is only for cases that you really do not want to hear any C&C from anybody. That is not what you want, is it?

Cheers,

fahim mohammed

Wade, welcome to OPF. I would tend to use a smaller aperture so as to show more of the environment
in which the goat is ' grazing ' rather than throw it out of focus so much. a little control of the highlights
might not be amiss; unless you purposely want to blow them.

getting too near an object might tend to distort the perspective ( depending on the lens, subject distance
and the photogs intentions. ).

The goat seems to be thinking of you as another delicacy..I wouldn't blame him!

Best.

I do not think I was in RAW mode at the time of this shot unfortunately.

In no effort to tarnish the image of Calcutta, I must admit that you do not have to go to the rubbish tip in order to find piles of rubbish. It is literally everywhere, and it seems that the domestic goats have a good old time playing around in it!

I am using a D80 which I have had for about 2 years, which is the extent of my experience really. It was the middle of the day and it was clear and sunny. (I hope that's what you meant by 'shot conditions').

As for what I hope might be the destiny of my photography, I've never shared my photos with 'enthusiasts' until today and the comments I have recieved so far are more than I could have hoped for. I hope to improve to the point where I can be impressed by my own images in the way I am when I look at others. Anything more than that seems out of reach for the time being.......

As I commented in your monkey shot, I think you have a very good eye, and the composition here really appeals to me.

I think the photo overall does indeed capture the essence of the situation, but I would have to agree with fahim, that a small aperture would enable the viewer to better see the environment, and toning down the highlights would help avoid distractions.

In general, I prefer a wide aperture for my wildlife shots, to better isolate the subject visually from often distracting background elements. But in some situations, it is better to bring the environment into the photo, and that is definitely the case here.

I especially like the way you have a goal for your photograph - that makes all the difference in the world in moving from a 'snapshot' to using photography as an art medium.

Thanks for the advice Don. I'm not quite sure how to single out certain areas for editing. I really have to knuckle down and learn a few photoshop tricks.

I too like to use wider apertures and with that in mind I guess I tend to overlook the benifits of not doing so............

I'll try to be more conscientious of this fact in the future.

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Wade,

I have to revisit what Rachel has already tried telling you. Please do not post many pictures for C&C (and neither as "Just Sharing" since we are not a photo sharing forum) at the same time. Right now, you've shown 7 within a day. This will spread our efforts thin in getting a proper response back to you, which you deserve. So is there a hard limit? No, there isn't. So I cannot tell when too much is too much. But you will notice that when people do not respond any longer.

Cheers,

Cem

Wade, I like your work...but slow down! You learn as much from critiquing others' work as you do your own.

...I guess I'm just trying to play catch up, as I've never had any opinions on any of my photos as I have had no one around me with an appreciation for photography. You know, people who just love a good happy snap with people they know in it..

...The thing is, IF you get feedback it will often be in such depth that the critic took upwards of 30 to 60 minutes to compose and offer.

Gotcha. Thanks for the heads up.

Would it help if I posted some images with "Just Sharing" so as not to request too much time of people?

No Wade, please don't do that. If we spend our time on your pictures to provide C&C, we do it out of our own free will (like I just did with your cat picture), not because it is our job to do so. So the chances are, you do not get much C&C when people are busy with other things. If you post a picture for C&C from which we all can learn, especially when it is a good picture, you will get more reactions. "Just sharing" is only for cases that you really do not want to hear any C&C from anybody. That is not what you want, is it?

Cheers,

To Cem_Usakligil

No, not at all. Thank you very much for the information. Appreciated.

For sure, I really don't have much more that I would want to post at this point in time. It may seem that I am flooding the board, but my ' repetoir' of material is surely limited. I do appreciate the advice and you may rest assured that I will focus on the current items I have posted.

Kind Regards

Wade.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Wade do you have this image in RAW, you may have answered that already. If so, you might make it available for other versions of your image to be worked out. Send it via www.yousendit.com to yourself and then post the link here. You still own all the edited results!

Asher

I did not shoot this image in RAW. Actually I didn't start using RAW until very recently, and I have not taken a significant photo during that time! I do have the original which quite large if that helps at all?