• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Pentax????

ErikJonas

Banned
I see a section for Canon DSLRs....I see a section for Nikon DSLRs....I know the new forum will have a section for Pentax DSLRs right?????

What i'm asking is...If Canon and Nikon have a section why not Pentax DSLR????

Hi Erik,

The latest numbers I've seen suggest a 2% marketshare for Pentax in Japan. I don't know how much of that is dSLRs, and/or on a worldwide scale. Following those statistics, it would become a forum with very few posts, but it does need to be maintained. Besides, there are too many forums already.

Another issue is that the bulletin board's search engine doesn't always produce good results, otherwise there would be fewer forums still.

So the end result of a dedicated Pentax forum would result in may be (I don't know) 3 users of that platform talking to eachother or themselves. Not very useful, I think. In fact, I have responded to a question about Pentax low light focusing which I would have missed in a forum dedicated to a platform I don't use.

It's unfortunate, but we cannot change the statistics.

Cheers,
Bart

ErikJonas

Banned

Bart you misread my post....In THIS forum theres a Canon SLR section and a Nikon SLR section...Why not Pentax....Not a dedicated Pentax forum....Just a section....

Cem_Usakligil

Bart you misread my post....In THIS forum theres a Canon SLR section and a Nikon SLR section...Why not Pentax....Not a dedicated Pentax forum....Just a section....
Eric,

We have had all that. A dedicated section for Pentax, Sony, Minolta, Olympus, what have you. It was a huge waste of space on the front page as it was barely used in the past 3 years. We have also had sections of various Canon and Nikon cameras such as the 5D, 450D, 1D, etc. We have had long discussions in the past and eventually came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth the effort of dedicating specific areas to those sub fora. Of course, the volume of Canon and Nikon users is so large that we cannot afford not to have one forum for each. But not dedicated sub fora for various models.

Like any others this too is a decision, with which somebody, somewhere will eventually disagree :).

Cheers,

ErikJonas

Banned

Cem.....In light of that i understand and agree actually....Pentax is a good camera its too bad they dont advertise more.....

A rather ignorant Canon shooter once told me if i wanted to be professional i had to switch gear to Nikon or Canon....To which i say show me what image in my main portfolio does not look professional.....

Hmmmmmm.....A bit of a lone wolf with my brand but thats more fitting for me anyway.....

Thanks for the explination Cem....

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Cem.....In light of that i understand and agree actually....Pentax is a good camera its too bad they dont advertise more.....

A rather ignorant Canon shooter once told me if i wanted to be professional i had to switch gear to Nikon or Canon....To which i say show me what image in my main portfolio does not look professional.....

Hmmmmmm.....A bit of a lone wolf with my brand but thats more fitting for me anyway.....

Thanks for the explination Cem....

All the brand loyalty is nonsense. Pentax is still my favored 35mm film camera with the Super Multi Coated Takamur lens! Then, in those days, it would have been a Pentax forum that would be the most popular.

Even now, I'm delighted to hear news from Pentax/Olympus/Sony users. The Pentax series are amongst the best value for money, well built and the little "limited" lenses are so neat and unobtrusive. We give a lot of attention to Benjamin Kanarek's Pentax work when he posts. What else can we do?

In OPF, we respond to reality of what the community wants as much as to promote our core values of nurturing each others pathways and sharing work. If Pentax activity became so important here, we'd likely have a separate space to accommodate these interests.

Meanwhile, I could care less what anyone uses, whether it's a fuji throw away Drug store camera, an ancient Minox or a $50,000 Phase One marvel. If the image moves us or it serves the purpose of the photographer well, then we're interested. We don't have too much respect for being a Nikonite or Canonite, just a photographer who's work is interesting or not.

Asher

Tim Armes

For me the greatest benefit of OPF is that gear isn't the be-all-and-and-all.

Gear is important for our work, but the brand really isn't.

Nigel Allan

one of the refreshing things about OPF is that it is about photography not about brands.

Everywhere else people wear their camera brand like a Christian wears a cross or a Muslim woman wears a headscarf - who cares? The brand of camera has never come up in any thread I have been involved with so far here, yet elsewhere the brand is your religion and sets demarcation lines.

I LOVE Pentax and have owned an LX and a K2 since 1981. I chose them over Nikon FMs, F3s, or Canon F1s at the time. And I have never yearned for another 'better' 'improved' model. The LX has a beautiful build and ergonomics and I still think it was the best 35mm SLR camera ever made by any manufacturer anywhere - but there's the problem, as soon as I state that it polarises people.

When I decided to go digital I bought a K20d and it never felt right for reasons I won't go into now...I really wanted a K7 (which does feel right and is BEAUTIFUL but has been dogged by a few teething problems). I was gutted that I felt Pentax had not produced the camera I wanted at the price I wanted, especially as I wanted to use my old Pentax lenses, but I went with a Nikon D300. I am happy with my choice because it has given me the fun back in photography which inevtiably means I'll raise my game and get my eye back.

Right now, however, I am seriously considering getting my LX and K2 serviced and going back to film and using a high quality scanner because there's nothing quite like a lovely 35mm tranny or mono shot (just look at Cedric MASSOULIER's lovely shot under the name 'chimney' - he got me thinking). Digital is not as good as analogue in an analogue world IMHO, it's just more convenient.

But other than this thread I am happy NOT to discuss kit as I DO THINK it polarises people and distracts from the real reason we are here - enjoyment and improvement of our photography. I have 'dipped my toe' into the Nikon section here and it is very 'quiet'. Frankly I would rather the moderators dropped those branded sections altogether and roll them into a generic section on hardware