• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The Force is with me, but I am not a Jedi yet

J. Schiavo

Greetings.

My wife and I are in the beginning stages of starting our own photography business. We've been shooting Motorsport events, weddings, large social events, and some other kinds of photos. it's been a great ride so far.

We both have the eye. Our work is truly a mutual passion. It's a wonderful experience to share with your wife. I'm the editor, and of course, all photos get final approval from her. We learn new things each time we shoot.

My wife shoots with a 350D right now. however, she has outgrown the camera and we're moving her up to a 20D soon. i'm shooting with a 20D, and i'm doing pretty well with it. i would have to say that the main "issue" i have with it is the focusing speed for some of the Motorsports events we shoot. no i am not complaining, just get a little frustrated at times...

As for lenses, we have a 70-200 2.8IS, a 70-200 4.0, 1.4x TC, Tokina 12-24 4.0, 50mm 1.4, and a 28-135 IS.

i have noticed that many of the people who call themselves photographers are merely people with a digital SLR pointing and shooting. i mean, what is the point of shooting in AV with a 1dMKIIN at a motorsports event if you are not capturing any motion to add to the effect of the shot? We have been truly blessed by meeting a couple of wonderful photographers that we have become friends with. as a result of their knowledge and suggestions, we have made monumental improvements just from their feedback sessions.

time is on our side. it is our sincerest wish to make a living out of this game, and to play well with others, and to capture many happy memories for ourselves and our clients.

looking forward to learning with/from you all.

sincerely,

-joe

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Joe,

This is a great time for both you and your wife! It will give you a lot of satisfaction, but expect some problems. Let's see if we can't help as you hit snags. We have one of the most experienced set of wedding/event/sports photography photographers, so feel free to post in the appropriate fora to get others on you side! (BTW, has she joined too?)

Pllease looks at the various image editing/critiquing/challenge possibilities we have and participate if something interests you.

Also if you have something special to share or that is challenging in some way, post that too!

We would like you to be very much at home. This is a friendly place and we enjoy to see photographers get ahead!

So we welcome you and wish you good luck on your new enterprise!

Asher

J. Schiavo

thanks

Thanks for the well wishes Asher.

Yeah, Mollie and I are both learning exponentially. She's not into the computer part of the business unless it has to do with creating an invoice or running a credit card for an order... so i doubt she'd join. however, this subscription will encompas questions from both of us at times and we are both looking forward to learning as much as we can from all the best. Thanks for that opportunity.

we'll be participating in everything that we can when business permits. Thank goodness that buisiness has been going very well. i suppose we're doing a lot of things right so far.

a couple of questions about this site and posting:

1. Is it ok to post our web-site information for viewing/critiquing purposes (not to sell anything obviously)?

2. Will there ever be any kind of regional conferences or classes offered to members of the site?

3. Does anyone happen to have a line on a 200MM 1.8L to buy, or know if Canon will ever start production for this model again? (i had the opportunity to shoot with this for a few minutes only and i am hopelessly stuck on it...)

4. please have a wonderful day!

Alain Briot

pro member
Hi Joe,

"2. Will there ever be any kind of regional conferences or classes offered to members of the site?
"

I offer workshops on all 3 aspects of photography: Field work, processing/printing/presentation and Marketing. These are not offered directly by OPP but since I am a moderator I thought I would mention it. You can see all the information on my site. The link is below. Feel free to call us if you like.

Asher Kelman

Hi Joe,

There are a number of 200 1.8 lenses that come online every so often. Look on fredmiranda.com buy and sell. Put in a "wanted" request in "Buy and Sell" here. Beware you have to be sure that person has a good reputation, On FM look for the reputation. Fred has suggested 100 posts at least. Here, we may have a better idea. No one can guarantee a safe deal. I like to meet the person in buy or selling a lens. However, I have purchased many lenses from people on FM and on hte internet, but each time only after careful due diligence.

Training depends on what you want: photoshop, wedding, lighting, making presentation books, children, events and on site printing or selling through 20 monitor stations at a motor cross event or just printing.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Alain Briot said:
Hi Joe,

"2. Will there ever be any kind of regional conferences or classes offered to members of the site?
"

I offer workshops on all 3 aspects of photography: Field work, processing/printing/presentation and Marketing. These are not offered directly by OPP but since I am a moderator I thought I would mention it. You can see all the information on my site. The link is below. Feel free to call us if you like.

As I pointed out there are many many, many more aspects to photography than just 3.

Especially, Joe has to focus on making a new business work that follows his stated goals.

Joe Schiavo said:
Motorsport events, weddings, large social events, and some other kinds of photos..

Joe and his wife are trying to earn a living!

I support your courses in fine art, as you know. However, here, these two need industry-related courses and perhaps work flow. For this, they need simplicity, economy and clarity.

Uwe has excellent clearly written PDF's on all the principles you need. Prices a bargain generally $39.95

http://www.outbackphoto.com/booklets/booklets.html

Also fine well made DVD's from Michael Reichman at almost giveaway prices $14-25.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/zencart/?main_page=index&cPath=2

Asher

Anita Saunders

Joe Schiavo said:
2. Will there ever be any kind of regional conferences or classes offered to members of the site?

Good wishes to you and your wife Joe! I do think you could upgrade your cams to professional [esp re speed considering you've chosen sport and action] but that's finance permitting, otherwise I would say just keep on the road you're already on...

Your idea of conferences is a fabulous idea! Imagine one day with guest speakers from the best in these forums! Seminar days are really popular these days and make great adventures and learning experiences, if actually organised. The trouble is we are all in different countries!

Oh I wish .............

Asher Kelman

Yes OPF will be having regional courses, but not quite yet. I'll post on that.

The 20D, 1D, used even the D30 are all good enough.

For sports you need hi ISO capability and fast focus. I'd get a used 1D, excellent or used 1DII and for the moment that would do everything you need, even weddings.

For large groups just use a 24-70 wide angle zoom and you are set.

If you have another $2300 or so, get a 5D, a huge bargain with files almost as good as the 1DsII.

Jack Hartzman and plenty of others in events and weddings, can help you, also Nil toulme and many others in Sports. Just post in the approriate forum and you will get expert help.

Asher

Ray West

I don't know whether its worth mentioning it, having no experience of it (but that has never stopped me b4) but wouldn't it be possible to try out some web based teleconferance/broadcast thing? I would think it would work with half a dozen or so, dunno about a couple of hundred....
Best wishes,

Ray

J. Schiavo

Thank You!!!!

Thanks to all who posted replies.

Sorry for not writing back sooner but we have been shooting all weekend and I’m in the middle of PP’ing 6000 images from 3 different events.

You guys are all right. In the future, I see a 1D… but I have to wait. Gotta pay off the G5 Quad I bought for processing. Awesome machine, I highly recommend it. Waiting may be a good thing all around though because Canon might get a wild hair and announce a new version of the 1D. :-D

I met a photographer at a motorsports event we were shooting on Sunday. He said that selling/printing on site would make us a lot of money, more than selling through our website. We’ve got a laptop with a monitor that’s not too terribly bright in the AZ bright light situations… but we have been printing by contractor in order to save time/get matte finish for less $/print. Looks like things are about to change. i have questions... will post later

As for what we need… I’d say “which printer” advice, which I’ll ask about in the printer forum, and better ACR noise reduction so I don’t have to use a noise reduction filter on every jpg I convert… but I will post that in the correct forum as well. i have a bunch of tutorials from Colin Smith on Photoshopcafe.com which have been VERY helpful. but, one can never learn too much in Photoshop, i have discovered.

Onto working… we have a LOT of shots to edit, so I must digress. Thanks again to all of you for your help.