• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Alternative Process: Panoramas: Camera Position Optimization

Hi folks,

This is to share some information about an improvement in Pano stitching:
http://www.tawbaware.com/ptasmblr_help_camera_position.htm

This is particularly interesting for several special scenarios, in particular imaging of (subjects in) a flat plane. One can think of large murals, possibly with objects (e.g. pillars, or traffic signs) in front of them, or wide storefronts, or rows of buildings, as typical applications (as long as everything is in a single plane). The above link also shows other examples, e.g. selective removal of reflections in a mirror (although that can also be done with a T/S lens).

I'll get back and report about the particular PTAssembler (Windows only) implementation when I've done some more testing with the (currently beta) software.

Cheers,
Bart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I enjoyed learning of this ability to remove reflections and also to stitch a whole street of stores without the intervening lamp posts! foes one mark what one wants to remove?

Asher

I enjoyed learning of this ability to remove reflections and also to stitch a whole street of stores without the intervening lamp posts! foes one mark what one wants to remove?

Hi Asher,

When the feature to remove is edited out with an Alpha mask on the source images, the blender will take care of it automatically. Alternatively one prepares the panorama, and outputs either a layered PSD file or the individual layers for manual retouch and layering.

The author, Max Lyons, is looking into a possibility to do such feature editing from within the PTAssembler application, but that will take some time to implement.

The "Camera Position Optimizer" feature is currently in Beta. I've run into an issue with it on my 64-bit Windows Vista platform when testing it, so I can't provide an example yet.

Cheers,
Bart