• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Art appreciation for kids

Cem_Usakligil

jackinthebox1.jpg

Cheers,

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
She's also a work of art and he's looking at her! So there are three works of art in this photograph!

Did they really make a hole ion the floor or is that a "tromp l'oeil"?

Asher

Hmmm...

The fellow in the hole and the hole appear to be a tromp l'oeil painting on the floor. As such, it probably isn't very meaningful when viewed from anywhere but the camera position.

So, what is the girl looking at? She certainly doesn't see anything like what we see. I'm beginning to suspect that she is part of the illusion and may also be paint...I'm not so sure about the glass either.

Time for bed.

P.S. I did notice the faint watermark.

Cem_Usakligil

...Did they really make a hole ion the floor or is that a "tromp l'oeil"?

..The fellow in the hole and the hole appear to be a tromp l'oeil painting on the floor. As such, it probably isn't very meaningful when viewed from anywhere but the camera position...
Hi guys,

It is not a tromp l'oeil, there is actually a hole in the ground and a very 3D, real-like wax person peering out of that hole.

The artwork is by Maurizio Cattelan (Padua 1960), Untitled, 2002. It is a part of the permanent collection at Museum Boijmans van Beuningen in Rotterdam.

Cheers,

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi Winston,

I have only recently started using watermarks in my images. I am very curious as to what the lookers think about them. Is it bad or OK and how can it be improved?

Cheers,

Hi Cem
Nice shot!
I have seen on the web some similar work made by a guy on street sidewalks, I have to dig and post here if I can find some pics…

As for your ©, it is very delicate and non obstrusive for the viewer… on this picture it would be quite easy to clone it out, but then the cloner would know that he's a thief (which do not make any difference for you! stolen is stolen…:-(

Anyway, I like the way you did.

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Cem
Nice shot!
I have seen on the web some similar work made by a guy on street sidewalks, I have to dig and post here if I can find some pics…

As for your ©, it is very delicate and non obstrusive for the viewer… on this picture it would be quite easy to clone it out, but then the cloner would know that he's a thief (which do not make any difference for you! stolen is stolen…:-(

Thanks Nicolas. I know that the watermark can be cloned out easily but since it is very unobtrusive, most web thiefs will not even bother to do that. And if they do, I can't stop them as you've rightfully pointed out.

Cheers,

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Cem,

I only just noticed the watermark! It's so subtle. I find it also inserts yourself into the picture and that's pretty good. There's utterly no reason why your watermark cannot be part of the image composition. Here it actually does good in providing a gentle texture to the top surface.

This photograph is well conceived and presented to us with no untidiness that I can notice. Great study. When I ask for more, you might be puzzled, since this is in itself fine and needs no companions. However, more like this, gives this work a world of ideas to cross pollinate.

Flowers and pretty folk in themselves give us a great experience but its art like this which allows our own intelligence to kick in too and then also recruit emotional triggers so we have the best of both worlds. Kudos!

Thanks for sharing such interesting work. It makes our efforts worthwhile.

Asher

Hi Nicolas,

Here's one of the better ones, Julian Beever, with a number of Anamorphic projection (same effect as ultra wide angle stretching near edges) examples:
http://users.skynet.be/J.Beever/pave.htm

Here's an example, viewed from the only correct position, and then from another (same effect as e.g. speed limit numbering on the road):
swim2.jpg
wrongview-pool.jpg

Images courtesy of the above mentioned website, Copyright assumed to be Julian Beever's

It's mind boggling how someone can envision the final effect while painting/chalking.

Another very good artist is Kurt Wenner.

I agree, it's not enough to prevent violation of copyright, but the thief can only remove a watermark on purpose.

Cheers,
Bart

Last edited:

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi Nicolas,

Here's one of the better ones, Julian Beever, with a number of Anamorphic projection (same effect as ultra wide angle stretching near edges) examples:
http://users.skynet.be/J.Beever/pave.htm

Here's an example, viewed from the only correct position, and then from another (same effect as e.g. speed limit numbering on the road):
swim2.jpg
wrongview-pool.jpg

Images courtesy of the above mentioned website, Copyright assumed to be Julian Beever's

Thanks Bart

Julian Beever is the one I've seen before…

You saved me a lot of time :)

Hi guys,

It is not a tromp l'oeil, there is actually a hole in the ground and a very 3D, real-like wax person peering out of that hole.

The artwork is by Maurizio Cattelan (Padua 1960), Untitled, 2002. It is a part of the permanent collection at Museum Boijmans van Beuningen in Rotterdam.

Cheers,
I guess I didn't get to bed soon enough ;-)

One of the details that led me astray is the dark line in the hole that is aligned with the one on the floor.

Cem_Usakligil

I guess I didn't get to bed soon enough ;-)

One of the details that led me astray is the dark line in the hole that is aligned with the one on the floor.
Don't worry Winston. I pay a lot of attention to the details of my compositions and sometimes I am lucky to get multiple elements into their right places. In this picture, the main dark line in the floor goes from top left corner to the bottom right. The cube is seen exactly from the position which is an extension to the long diagonal which centers the top front corner with the bottom rear corner. The girl is sitting exactly on the cross line on the floor and her shoes are behind the left side of the cube. At the symmetrical opposite, we see the reflection of the shoes of another visitor. And the reflection of the light from the windows marks the diagonal of the top face of the cube. And to top it all, as you've noticed the darker line on the level below is perfectly aligned with the line in the floor, but that was sheer luck, lol.

Cheers,