• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Street machines

Nigel Allan

DSC_4497.jpg

Nigel Allan: Street Machines

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Shimwell

Hi Nigel

I like the differential focus between foregrond and background, which serves to bring attention to the 'street machines'. I also appreciate the humour of your title, but if I am honest there is not enough here to keep me involved in the picture by itself - of course it may be a part of a series in which case it would have some context. I hope this does cause any offense as you have already posted some good work, e.g. Crack Berry.

Interestingly, this looks like my pictures when I think too much - that may not be the case for you, but I find that if I only think and don't intuit at all then I am often disappointed with the outcome. (This not to rubbish thinking, which is not excluded) Experimentation is, though, a good way of expanding the boundaries of your vision.

And, out of interest, how come the traffic lights are all on?

Cheers

Mike

Nigel Allan

Hi Nigel

I like the differential focus between foregrond and background, which serves to bring attention to the 'street machines'. I also appreciate the humour of your title, but if I am honest there is not enough here to keep me involved in the picture by itself - of course it may be a part of a series in which case it would have some context. I hope this does cause any offense as you have already posted some good work, e.g. Crack Berry.

Interestingly, this looks like my pictures when I think too much - that may not be the case for you, but I find that if I only think and don't intuit at all then I am often disappointed with the outcome. (This not to rubbish thinking, which is not excluded) Experimentation is, though, a good way of expanding the boundaries of your vision.

And, out of interest, how come the traffic lights are all on?

Cheers

Mike
I don't hold this up as any sort of masterpiece, just a quirky shot which I happened to take from my car while waiting at the lights, hence the angle and the timing of the lights. The shots would have been taken at the split second that the lights changed from red to amber and green, so I guess that at that moment all three are evident.

I didn't have much chance to take anything more interesting but I thought the juxtaposition of this guy in his 'chariot' waiting at the lights in front of someone on a 'normal' street legal vehicle was midly amusing. How often have you had anyone overtake you on the road in their wheelchair?

I agree there is not much that's hugely engaging about the shot, but I for one was a bit taken aback by this guy driving around the roads in his wheelchair as if this were nothing out of the ordinary.

thanks for your comments and feedback, it helps me understand why I took it and whether it has any merit in a wider sense other than just being mildy entertaining for my bizarre sensibilities :)