• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Aston Martin - can't see it for dust!

Nigel Allan

Parking is scarce in central London and if you have several cars and several homes in different countries you might decide to store your cars in a local garage while you are abroad. Some leave them there for months...

This is the beautiful Aston Martin V8 Vantage as you have probably never seen it before

_DSC5268-1.jpg

Nigel Allan: V8 Vantage – can’t see it for dust, hood

_DSC5284-1.jpg

Nigel Allan: V8 Vantage – can’t see it for dust, front wing

_DSC5270-1.jpg

Nigel Allan: V8 Vantage – can’t see it for dust, full on

Ken Tanaka

pro member

Mike Shimwell

I suspect that when he returns it will have been cleaned and once more be a sparkly thing. I know at least one chap who has to choose between Aston and Ferrari for his commute - of course life being what it is I think he gets the train more often... (just to be clear, it's not me, given my recent rail experience!)

Nice car, they always look like the metal is stretched over the musculature like a very tight skin - a clever bit of sculpture in my book.

Mike

Nigel Allan

I have left this thread for a week or two and come back to it. What is fascinating in this thread is that people felt obliged to pass comment on the car or the owner's motivation perhaps, but noone actually commented on the photography itself, which is unusual in a thread entitled 'critique desired'.

In every other thread asking for critique people will give an opinion on the actual photos themselves not necessarily just the subject matter alone

So, do I take that as a compliment that everyone has seen 'beyond' the technique and is only engaged by the subject, forgetting to comment on the interface which is a digital photograph?

This is interesting

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Interesting, and accurate, observation, Nigel. I suspect that toy admiration comes into play here, as there may be many more men reading this than women (and all the commenters are guys). But you must concede that the pics are basically documentary-style snaps and that you introduced them with a narration about the car.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Nigel,

Let's blame Nicolas, he's on location! Anyway, he was the first to focus on the incongruity of spending so much on a beautiful car and then neglecting it. Actually, I never wash my car! I rely on the weather in the winter to clean them and I suspect that someone in my family also might have it washed when they steal the keys.

The owner might well value the car for how it drives and at the moment be sailing his yacht!

Asher

Parking is scarce in central London and if you have several cars and several homes in different countries you might decide to store your cars in a local garage while you are abroad. Some leave them there for months...

This is the beautiful Aston Martin V8 Vantage as you have probably never seen it before

_DSC5268-1.jpg

Nigel Allan: V8 Vantage – can’t see it for dust, hood

_DSC5284-1.jpg

Nigel Allan: V8 Vantage – can’t see it for dust, front wing

_DSC5270-1.jpg

Interesting, and accurate, observation, Nigel. I suspect that toy admiration comes into play here, as there may be many more men reading this than women (and all the commenters are guys). But you must concede that the pics are basically documentary-style snaps and that you introduced them with a narration about the car.

I agree. Although the second image has an interesting angle of view (and thus composition), but I'm not too fond of the sepia coloring, unless it serves a good purpose.

Cheers,
Bart

Nigel Allan

Actually they are colour not sepia and the basic shades of the pictures are just accentuated to make it seem more dirty

Nigel Allan

I agree Ken, but I wante to know if they were 'effective' documentary style snaps. Absent technical criticism, I guess they were!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
So Let's Look at Documentary "Snaps v. Artistic Photography

_DSC5270-1.jpg

Bart Van Der Wolf said:
I agree. Although the second image has an interesting angle of view (and thus composition), but I'm not too fond of the sepia coloring, unless it serves a good purpose.

First, Let's put the difference in tone aside, that's a diversion here.

The last picture could be called documentary. As a mere snap, it would be nice one. The first picture, immediately climbs above that!

_DSC5268-1.jpg

The photograph of the Aston Martin is designed to bring out the character of the car, thrusting towards us. It's composed symmetrically and as an elongated form so it appears to be pushing itself into this low frame. This is not merely documentation. Add to that the undecipherable text, it becomes a playground, like the dust layer, itself. This then is no mere snap. It's a photograph of worth. Still, I wish it had the lower grill and edge too. That would really strengthen the entire head of this creature and complete the full climb of this image to a fully fledged artwork I'd value; my opinion.

The second picture, I won't even discuss. It's so obviously composed with ideas far beyond the snap of the moment. The seemingly sepia effect, does call attention to itself and makes it appear insincere, but it's not. The coloration fits.

Asher

Nigel Allan

Asher here is the full hood. I had cropped it because I found the licence plate a little intrusive as the camera's flash made it really shine brightly.

I have shown a couple of other angles including a previously overlooked one with an apt inscription in the dust.

And no, there is NO SEPIA toning here. These are all the natural light plus the flash of that garage. The last one was posted earlier in the thread but with a slightly different colour cast which may have given the impression it was sepia toned. Here is a 'cleaner' version where I have actually taken yellow out of the shot

...and no this amount of dust is not on my sensor or lens, Nicolas! :)

_DSC5268-2.jpg

1. Nigel Allan Aston Martin – full hood - a

_DSC5271-3.jpg

2. Nigel Allan Aston Martin – full hood – b

_DSC5283-2.jpg

3. Nigel Allan Aston Martin – "Christ, drive it or give it to me"

_DSC5284-2.jpg

4. Nigel Allan Aston Martin – front driver’s side wing