• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A little fish

Ron Morse

I haven't been using the camera for quite a while because of back problems again.

I thought I'd through in a fish picture.

I don't remember the specifics of the shot. The fish is a giant danio. It grows to about 3 1/2 inches and is very fast, always darting around the aquarium seldom slowing down. I should have had a little more room behind it but I still liked the shot.

mg3090c.jpg

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi Ron
good to hear from you and to see you back. Pun intended ;-)

As usual your fish is very nice, I always wonder what they think of, if they do… A friend of mine told me that they have a memory lasting 2 seconds…

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I haven't been using the camera for quite a while because of back problems again.

I don't remember the specifics of the shot. The fish is a giant danio. It grows to about 3 1/2 inches and is very fast, always darting around the aquarium seldom slowing down. I should have had a little more room behind it but I still liked the shot.

mg3090c.jpg

Ron Morse: Giant Danio

Ron,

We are able to easily appreciate the beauty of lions, tigers and cheetahs. We're so used to seeing them in films of the wild and up close, in the zoo. Tiny fish that dart around are much harder to consider in terms of their magnificent coat and coloring. Here, your shot shows this fish in a spectacular way.

If this fish could call out, it would be a growl like a lion!

Kudos,

Asher

I wonder, do you get catchlights in the fish's eyes or that does not look right?

Ron Morse

Hi Ron
good to hear from you and to see you back. Pun intended ;-)

As usual your fish is very nice, I always wonder what they think of, if they do… A friend of mine told me that they have a memory lasting 2 seconds…

Thanks Nicolas.

Your friends comments would be true of this fish. However some fish particularly the cichlid family of fish can be very intelligent with excellent memories.

Ron Morse

Thanks for your very nice comment Asher.

Having taken over 10,000 fish photographs I have never seen a catch light in their eyes. Probably because I always use overhead flash. But even with a fill flash I have never seen it. Maybe because of the effect of the water.

Thanks for your very nice comment Asher.

Having taken over 10,000 fish photographs I have never seen a catch light in their eyes. Probably because I always use overhead flash. But even with a fill flash I have never seen it. Maybe because of the effect of the water.

I think it's a combination of the water and resulting (due to different refractive index) relatively flat cornea of fish eyes. I'm no ichthyologist, but most fish I have seen have flattened corneas.

I found this text on google, which confirms my assumption. I basically states that the lack of an air/eye interface reduces the refractive capability of the cornea under water. Therefore fish have developed a very strong spherical lens instead to compensate, and the eye in general has a more hemispherical shape.

Cheers,
Bart

Hope thiings improve. I know a bit about back issues from personal experience.

And a fine picture it is!

It has a great 3D quality about it, it almost pops out of the frame. Perhaps you could add a bit of space at it's rear, and clone in some blurred background.

Thanks for sharing,
Bart

Ron Morse

Thanks Bart.

That was interesting reading your link. Actually this is a very much studied fish for its ability to heal and regenerate its self through out its life unlike others that lose the ability as they age (as I remember).

Do you think this is an improvement? I want to leave more space in front than in the back to give a sense of forward movement.

mg3090d.jpg

You can get a pretty good look at the eye in this shot.

mg3112.jpg

Thanks Bart.

That was interesting reading your link. Actually this is a very much studied fish for its ability to heal and regenerate its self through out its life unlike others that lose the ability as they age (as I remember).

Do you think this is an improvement? I want to leave more space in front than in the back to give a sense of forward movement.

Mission accomplished! It's perfect now.

Cheers,
Bart

StuartRae

Hi Ron,

As a fellow back sufferer I sympathise with you. I hope it's getting better - I find that the spasms often disappear as quickly as they come.

It's a lovely little fish, all bright and eager looking. Is there such a thing as a dwarf danio? :)

Regards,

Stuart

Last edited:

Ron Morse

Thanks Stuart.

Yes the back is improving. I couldn't walk more than 5 or 6 feet for weeks.

Indeed their is a tiny danio. Its called a zebra danio and looks very similar but only reaches about an inch and a half on average.

StuartRae

Hi Ron,

I'm pleased to hear that the back is improving. I'm OK with walking, can usually find a comfortable position sitting and standing is fine. It's between sedentary and upright that the problem occurs, often takes me several minutes to get upright :(

Regards,

Stuart

Darren Murray

hi ron awsome shot as is all your fish photos !
i took would like to shoot my fish but at the min im having negative results i just cant seem to get a nice sharp image no matter what

and your fish all look very healthy to me good work

i have a red severum
a silvini cichlid
a green terror
2 texas cichlids
3 firemouths
a breeding pair of convicts and soon to be some fry :)

not all in the same tank mind lol

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Darren,

I'm so glad you found Ron! I'm so impressed with his pictures of fish without any odd reflections one can get from trying to illuminate from the front. Now you'll have no excuse!

Asher

Darren Murray

yes id def say ron is the master of aqarium photography im google for a good tuturial on the subject
seems first thing on my todo list is to buy a flashgun so i can flash from above