• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: Holi

Prateek Dubey

This is a photograph of the Holi festival.

Holi is 'played' at the onset of summer. It is also called the festival of color. People use dry and wet color to well! color each other. The festival is about the relationship between man and the lord. The lord being Krsna ( who is a controversial character himself). Here people are coloured in the colors of the lord and are acting as his lovers.

Holi in the cities has become an excuse for rowdy behaviour and gives some hooligans an excuse to behave badly, but at this place ( where the photograph was taken) called Barsana, around 150km from Delhi, Holi is played with great tradition.

23158-fullsize.jpg

Prateek Dubey : Holl Festival, Barsan, 150 miles from Dehli, 2009

There are two adjacent villages about 20km apart. Barsana and Nandgram. The tradition is that first people of Nandgram come to Barsana to play Holi.

After playing Holi ( which is played in the courtyard of a temple) the menfolk of Nandgram are taken to the streets of Barsana where they are ritually thrashed by the women of Barsana. To protect themselves these guys carry shields made of leather. The women beat the men with huge bamboo sticks and the men save themselves with the sheilds. The next day the ritual is re-enacted at Nandgram, where men from Barsana go and later are thrashed by the women of Nandgram. Fortunately no one gets hurt and everybody sits down to sing hyms in the praise of the lord.

Prateek

janet Smith

pro member
Hello Prateek & welcome to OPF!

What a fantastic shot of an amazing occassion, I watched a documentary about the festival sometime ago and it was fascinting, your shot captures the festival perfectly.

Thank you for sharing this with us, I hope to see more.....

Prateek Dubey

Hello Doug,
Thanks for stopping by and appreciating my work. I'd heard of you as a stalwart in the science of modern photography but had never visited the site. Now that I have, I'll be a regular visitor there and will a learn a lot. Unfortunately my mind doesn't retain numbers readily, but I'm inquisitive and like to know things.