• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: Kawariyas

Prateek Dubey

26588-fullsize.jpg

Prateek Dubey: Kawariya

These people have gathered at the banks of the Ganges in the city of Haridwar. Every year they walk for hundreds of kilometers for many days to reach Haridwar, just to collect a few litres of water and then walk back home to keep that water safely in their temples. The water is usually slung over their shoulders in a brightly colored contraption made of bamboo sticks. They are normal folk, but whoever is participating in the ritual is called a Kawariya.The ritual takes place during the monsoons. All of them are devotees of Lord Shiva, the God of Life & Destruction in Hinduism.
My intent on taking this shot was to capture the color and energy of the place.

Last edited by a moderator:

Prateek Dubey

26588-fullsize.jpg

Prateek Dubey: Kawariya

These people have gathered at the banks of the Ganges in the city of Haridwar. Every year they walk for hundreds of kilometers for many days to reach Haridwar, just to collect a few litres of water and then walk back home to keep that water safely in their temples. The water is usually slung over their shoulders in a brightly colored contraption made of bamboo sticks. They are normal folk, but whoever is participating in the ritual is called a Kawariya.The ritual takes place during the monsoons. All of them are devotees of Lord Shiva, the God of Life & Destruction in Hinduism.

Hello Asher,
Thank you so much. Yes this looks much better. Can I copy the above tags to present the picture like you have?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Prateek, simply look in the reply text box before you post a reply and you will see the syntax and copy it.

Essentially you highlight anything you want to format. So select that with your mouse and then use the little icons in the top of the reply dialog box.

B is for bold
U is for underfline
I is for Italics and there are more in the advanced editing box or in "Preview" mode.

Asher

janet Smith

pro member

Objective achieved Prateek, another fabulous shot!

One of the things that makes this shot stand out to me is the man looking our way holding the child, everyone else seems to be bustling around intent on whatever they're doing, he's almost the only person wearing blue, in the midst of all those vibrant orangey reds. Wonderful colours - and I enjoyed reading the accompanying text - thank you.

Mike Shimwell

Objective achieved Prateek, another fabulous shot!

One of the things that makes this shot stand out to me is the man looking our way holding the child, everyone else seems to be bustling around intent on whatever they're doing, he's almost the only person wearing blue, in the midst of all those vibrant orangey reds. Wonderful colours - and I enjoyed reading the accompanying text - thank you.

I couldn't agree more. A lovel picture and one that gains so much from your explanation of their pilgrimage. It is interesting to me, and also demonstrates that sometimes a picture does need some words:)

Thanks

Mike

Nigel Allan

I agree with all thats been said and can't really add anything. The central subject with the child who is looking away and not dressed the same as all the others gives the shot an identity which it might not otherwise have had if it were just a mass of people

John Angulat

pro member
This is a truly wonderful image,
I understand you were looking to capture the color and energy, and that's been accomplished in a most wonderful way.
However, unintended or otherwise, the man with the child makes the image spectacular.
Well done!