• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

...skeptics, no doubt

John Angulat

pro member
JJA_3576bwV2.jpg

Caught this group of youngsters enjoying an ice cream cone, but apparently not enjoying the street performer they were watching.
I liked the look on their faces!
The gentleman on the right was an added bonus

Thanks for looking,​

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
JJA_3576bwV2.jpg

Caught this group of youngsters enjoying an ice cream cone, but apparently not enjoying the street performer they were watching.
I liked the look on their faces! The gentleman on the right was an added bonus

John,

Any picture that captures this much feeling is worth sharing. You made a choice not to crop away the extra guy. The kids, by themselves would have made a sufficient picture, but you risked this with your addition of 3/4 of another person. It does add a dimension to the questioning that even an adult couldn't figure out what was going on or that it was worthwhile.

To take this one step further, just for doodle-sake, consider adding white, black or grey on the right and, yes, actually drawing in the rest of the man's outline. That might then add you to the picture and they become more of objects, not just viewers.

Just a way-out idea to push the envelope of what's possible.

Asher

Nigel Allan

I find the depth of field interesting here...this shot has an almost 3D quality to it...the foregound people and the background people could almost be in two separate shots and superimposed.

very interesting effect

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Asher,
Thank you kindly for the comments!
I cropped this a number of times, often leaving out the adult on the right.
Somehow, to me at least, he added something to the overall skepticism.
So, I guess he'll stay.
Now, I need a better explanation regarding adding a bit of grey/black/white to the right and drawing his outline.
I honestly don't know what you mean....help!

John Angulat

pro member
I find the depth of field interesting here...this shot has an almost 3D quality to it...the foregound people and the background people could almost be in two separate shots and superimposed.

very interesting effect

Hi Nigel,
Hmmm...that would presume I have a modicum of talent in Photoshop.
I'm absolutely dismal at selecting, masking, etc.
Alas, all I did was soften the already blurred background with a bit of blur and a brush!

Nigel Allan

Hi Nigel,
Hmmm...that would presume I have a modicum of talent in Photoshop.
I'm absolutely dismal at selecting, masking, etc.
Alas, all I did was soften the already blurred background with a bit of blur and a brush!

John that much is even too advanced for me :)

I wasn't suggesting trickery, far from it. It just reminded me of those shots you used see in those 3D postcards in which the subjects appeared to move as you rotated them on a vertical axis with the foreground and background seeming to be separate parts of the composition.

I think your shot looks very cool and there is a strong distinction between your subjects all arranged along one plane who are sharp and the ones behind on another plane who are soft

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Nigel,
Please, I never thought for a moment that you were implying a bit of slight-of-hand!
Oftentimes I find it difficult to translate the feeling or emotion I experience when reading a post to my actual written response.
In this case I was amused someone would even consider me capable of that level of editing!
The truth be told - I did try last night. I think I would have been better off attacking a printed copy with a pair of dressmakers shears!
Thanks again for the kind compliments, they're much appreciated