• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: Bahrain fire

Nigel Allan

This is a shot I took in July 1982 in Bahrain in the Arabian Gulf with my Pentax LX and 50mm 1.4 (still going strong after 28 years by the way) and have just scanned in from the original negative with my Coolscan 500 ED. It is unretouched and uncropped. Straight from the neg.

A building was on fire and crowds were gathering to look at it but I saw this little kid at the back and called out to him to get his attention and get him to turn around, and he duly obliged. I wante to create some interest in the shot as everyone else was looking in the other direction.

Thanks for looking.

19820701-bahrain.jpg

1. Nigel Allan: Bahrain fire.

Ken Tanaka

pro member
... (still going strong after 28 years by the way)...

The fire or the camera?

That's a very good shot, Nigel. Just about perfect. The adults look so woodenly focused on the smoke but the little boy, who can see nothing but butt in that direction, looks at the Western-skinned tourist with the camera! Well done circa 1982.

Nigel Allan

The fire or the camera?

That's a very good shot, Nigel. Just about perfect. The adults look so woodenly focused on the smoke but the little boy, who can see nothing but butt in that direction, looks at the Western-skinned tourist with the camera! Well done circa 1982.

Thank you Ken. I admire your work tremendously so your observation is very appreciated. Yes, with an old manual camera I didn't have the luxury of multiple FPS or autofocus so I had to time this just right

ha ha...the LX has had one service in 28 years and I haven't shot anything with it since about 1998 so the jump to pick up my first DSLR in May this year was quite a steep learning curve and like starting from scratch. I am almost relearning. For example on each roll of film I almost never had a wasted shot and made each shot count. Now I have to learn to relax and take lots of shots to get one i like because it doesn't matter how many I take, but old habits die hard and I usually take just one shot at a time and rarely more than a few and move on :)

I suspect that now I have the scanner I need to get the LX out and get it serviced with new seals (the sealing foam looks a bit tacky) so I can enjoy a return to film. I know that digital has many advantages over film, but there are some qualities of a film image which resonate with me on a deeper level. Is it because my brain is analogue and I process images, sounds and emotions in an analogue envoironment?

I know for certain that some people just detest listening to digital music on CDs for example and prefer listening to an analogue vinyl LP (even with it's hisses and whirrs) as it doesn't 'jolt' their brain the same way.

I think this could form the basis of another one of my famous philosophical discussions...Asher, where are you when I need you ? ha ha