• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Adobe Bridge/ACR vs Picture Styles

Kevin Bjorke

...anyone know the right Mojo to get Bridge to LEAVE THE PIX AS I SHOT THEM instead of converting them to some "optimal" or fixed profile?

Thanks,
kb

This is for a 5D, btw

Kevin Bjorke said:
...anyone know the right Mojo to get Bridge to LEAVE THE PIX AS I SHOT THEM instead of converting them to some "optimal" or fixed profile?

Are you referring to Raw or JPEGs (or both)? I assume you have a colormanaged workflow?

Have you tried turning off the Automatic parameters in ACR and saving the "As shot" settings as default?

Bart

Kevin Bjorke

RAW — ACR doesn't do JPG.

Leaving things specified as "as shot" only affects the color balance. Turning off "auto" removes other interpretation by ACR but does NOT honor the picture style -- it just comes out as what I'd guess is "standard" or very close to that. Most obviously, monochrome RAWs are converted to full color automatically the minute that Bridge and ACR see them. You don't get any option to stop it from doing this, as far as I've (yet) discovered....

Diane Fields

Kevin Bjorke said:
RAW — ACR doesn't do JPG.

Leaving things specified as "as shot" only affects the color balance. Turning off "auto" removes other interpretation by ACR but does NOT honor the picture style -- it just comes out as what I'd guess is "standard" or very close to that. Most obviously, monochrome RAWs are converted to full color automatically the minute that Bridge and ACR see them. You don't get any option to stop it from doing this, as far as I've (yet) discovered....

Kevin, the only way you can 'save' the monos (that I know of) is to choose RAW + jpeg (and you can define the 'flavor'). You will end up with the defined mono jpegs and the RAW.

To have Bridge show your pics as you shot---open a RAW shot in ACR, the go to the little arrow in the top right and drop down and unclick 'use auto adjustments' and then you have to click on 'save new camera defaults'. Then--ACR will not revert to 'auto' settings and Bridge will reflect the 'as shot' appearance.

Oh--reread----ACR doesn't reflect picture styles at all. It will be basically neutral or standard as you say. Its PS's version, I suppose, of the exposure, WB, etc. The same is true of, for instance, RSP or Bibble. Only DPP reflects the picture styles.

Diane

Diane

Jack Joseph Jr

Yes

It's called DPP. As good as ACR is, and in many ways it is very good, if you want to use Picture Styles for RAW conversion you have to use either of Canon's applications.

During my two-minute see-if-it-opens test the newest version of the terrible-to-use ZoomBrowser no longer shows CR2s exactly the same as JPGs. I'll assume then that it may not be camera accurate any longer. Although DPP is not completely camera accurate it is the far better application, especially if you're just doing a few pictures. The workflow isn't too bad and the converted TIFs often have a smoothness to them that Camera Raw just can't produce.