• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Film: Playball

Nigel Allan

I am not sure if this qualifies as a portrait as such, but they did stop and pose for me :) and it is a depiction of this father and son in their environment in the street by their home

Bahrain 1981. Nikon FM TriX

playball.jpg

Nigel Allan: Playball. Bahrain 1981

Mike Shimwell

More old gold Nigel. The pose works in this - it is an honest picture.

You will have fund living up to your past now Nigel:)

Mike

Ruben Alfu

Very nice, I see something almost surreal in this photo. A little to late now, but wouldn´t it have been good moving them two steps to the right so the white wall serves as a backdrop?

Nigel Allan

Very nice, I see something almost surreal in this photo. A little to late now, but wouldn´t it have been good moving them two steps to the right so the white wall serves as a backdrop?

Yes of course, but this was one of my first ever rolls of film and I was just wandering around snapping what looked interesting to me. I had no concept of composition or framing or backdrop beyond what seemed aestehically pleasing to me. If it looked nice to me in the viewfinder then that was the shot I took :)

Yes I could have moved closer or moved to one side or staged it more, but I also would have lost the innocence of this shot and it would have become more contrived. I agree with the words of Helmut Newton who said that in any photo set, of models or whatever, frequently it was his first shot which was the 'keeper' since it contained the most truth and while the other shots that followed might have been technically better they became more staged and gradually lost the essence of the shot he was trying to capture as the models got more self conscious and so did he. Sometimes lack of self-awareness is its own beauty.