• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A new sort of challenge

Rachel Foster

I have been trying to decide on an exercise to stretch my creativity, help me hone my skills. I want something that can be shot inside my house with minimal equipment (no "fancy lighting"). It occurred to me that perhaps one or two others might want to do a "group project."

What do you think? Any takers? Suggestions?

Nigel Allan

Since you dont want fancy lighting why not stretch yourself by finding creative and novel ways to shoot the lights themselves? Different takes on lightbulbs or the light they throw off, whatever interpretation you can think of

Nigel Allan

I'll try but don't think I have the guts...it's not the sort of thing I am any good at, but maybe that's why I should try as it is well outside my comfort zone to try and produce anything interesting to such a brief :)

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Pick an object

You could pick an object - say wine bottles. And challenge that - everyone will have them, lighting can be all across the spectrum and they are not really easy - they reflect light - all glass does.

You could do flowers.
Kitchen items
Dishes
Food
Fire
Subjects could be natural light
Pets (yes, I know)
Your own two feet.

charlie chipman

Sounds interesting to me, I like Nigel's suggested theme. I am heading out of town for the long weekend so it may be a while before I get back to this, but I will keep it in mind where ever I am staying.

Nigel Allan

I'd go with using the light as the subject but instead what about:

One light or just window light and a cup and saucer bowl or other everyday utensil?

Asher

The reason I suggested using the light itself for the subject is simply because it is so potentially challenging, whether you are shooting a lit light bulb or chandelier etc.

But I did say you could include in this any of the effects of the light so it could also be shooting something with a beam of light falling upon it. I was just responding to Rachel's request for the challenge and I thought this could be something that could strecth people's imagination in different creative directions

After all, isn't the root of the word photography 'writing or painting with light'?

John Angulat

pro member
You could pick an object - say wine bottles. And challenge that - everyone will have them, lighting can be all across the spectrum and they are not really easy - they reflect light - all glass does.

You could do flowers.
Kitchen items
Dishes
Food
Fire
Subjects could be natural light
Pets (yes, I know)
Your own two feet.

I believe we are all missing the point (and intent) of Kathy's thread.
She simply asked that we all consider posting Challenges that are titled "Pick an object", and she offered some suggestions to support her post.
I don't believe she intended for us to open a debate on any one object or approach.
Kathy, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Nigel Allan

I believe we are all missing the point (and intent) of Kathy's thread.
She simply asked that we all consider posting Challenges that are titled "Pick an object", and she offered some suggestions to support her post.
I don't believe she intended for us to open a debate on any one object or approach.
Kathy, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Sorry John this gave me a laugh when I thought we are all debating about shooting instead of just shooting :)

My next post in this thread will be some form of shot where 'light' is the subject matter even if it is not a lightbulb itself - although I might suprise myself and try and shoot one

StuartRae

Sorry chaps, but having re-read Rachel's original post I've withdrawn this as I don't think it meets the criteria.

Regards,

Stuart

Mike Shimwell

OK, take one body, one 50mm lens and allow yourself 36 exposures. Walk around your house and try to make something interesting. Download your captures or develop and scan your roll of film. Process as you wish. Choose 1 only. Make a nice print - say about 10 by 7. Then put a jpg of the print file up and see what we get.

No need to sign up. See if we can get 5 pictures by Sunday evening...

No first place no prize, but share some (friendly) comments.

Mike

Rachel Foster

I find that a little intimidating so I'm going to sit this out and watch the results with interest. Looking forward to what you all come up with.

Nigel Allan

OK, I'll play.

I just took my 50mm 1.4D Nikkor on my D300 and shot a couple of frames of ordinary everyday objects - coins. ISO 200 wide open at f1.4, 1/60th

There that's not too intimidating

DSC_5456.jpg

and here are a couple exploring the light concept - just quick shots of my halogen ceiling lights and two different treatments. I am sure with some thought there could be much more interesting shots of lights by some of the members here but I think there is scope to let your imagination run wild

I quite like the challenge of shooting into the light and frequently shoot against the sun

DSC_5442.jpg

DSC_5443.jpg

StuartRae

PlaNuts

No idea if this is the sort of thing we're looking for, but I can't let Nigel die alone.

A while ago I got bored one Sunday afternoon, so shot what I could find in my 'useful bits' drawer and put them together in PSE.

All with 350D + 60mm macro. Larger nuts focus-stacked with Helicon. No special lighting, just a black background.

planets-6.jpg

planets-8.jpg

Regards,

Stuart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
No idea if this is the sort of thing we're looking for, but I can't let Nigel die alone.

A while ago I got bored one Sunday afternoon, so shot what I could find in my 'useful bits' drawer and put them together in PSE.

All with 350D + 60mm macro. Larger nuts focus-stacked with Helicon. No special lighting, just a black background.

planets-6.jpg

StuartRae: A Bunch of Nuts​

Stuart,

Ar the pieces elevated to different levels on black cloth? It's very effective and dramatic. BTW, there are more than two nuts here!

Asher

StuartRae

Hi Asher,

Ar the pieces elevated to different levels on black cloth?

No, each shot separately and then pasted onto a prepared background in PSE. The 'gas cloud' is a distorted radial fill.

Regards,

Stuart

StuartRae

Hi Nigel,

.....thanks for not letting me die alone LOL

We'd better not die hungry either :)

My favourite roasting tin has just had its 40th birthday, and it's built up a fine patina over the years.
The more squeamish among you may want to clean it, but to do so would ruin it.

350D, 17-85 @ 35mm, f5, 1/8 sec, ISO 200. Lighting with normal fluorescent tube, WB with a WhiBal card (thanks MT).

potatoes-2.jpg

Regards,

Stuart

Mike Shimwell

Hi Nigel,

We'd better not die hungry either :)

My favourite roasting tin has just had its 40th birthday, and it's built up a fine patina over the years.
The more squeamish among you may want to clean it, but to do so would ruin it.

350D, 17-85 @ 35mm, f5, 1/8 sec, ISO 200. Lighting with normal fluorescent tube, WB with a WhiBal card (thanks MT).

potatoes-2.jpg

Regards,

Stuart

Stuart, that's a proper tin. I had to discard a blender yesterday that had started leaking. I realised that it was already old when my parents gave it to me some 25 years ago! It, however, has been cleaned in the meanwhile. I reserve the no cleaning approach for frying pans and roasting tine.

Mike