• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: Reflective Eyes

Mike Nogle

Hi, I would like to know what you think about this portrait, one of my few.

Reflective Eyes - Mike Nogle
4142946943_0fd27fbe98_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Shimwell

Hi Mike

I've added the image to the thread to save people needing to move off forum to see it.

I quite like the pensive/mournful expression, but am not sure what the folder under her hand adds. Also, an immediate interpreatation realtes the expression to the drinks bar behind!

Best

Mike

Mike Nogle

Thank you for the feedback. This was taken where the model works, a semi impromptu shoot, she knew I was going to be there to take photos. There is something about her hand resting on the bar menu that I like, and also I think the menu and its tassels add something. To me there is a big difference between the expression on her face, and that of the reflection. I was hoping to get more replies and constructive criticism. Should I post it as "critique wanted?"

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi, I would like to know what you think about this portrait, one of my few.

Mike Nogle: Reflective Eyes

Hi Mike,

This is a gentle concept beng offered: a girl considering something, but we don't now what. So the reflection is apt. Straight off, it's better to introduce you picture like this with the information you provided subsequently in your reply. Now we know more about the circumstances: It was taken of a lady in a bar with one hand resting on the menu and behind her her were liquor bottles.

I'd say that the most important thing to do is to diminish the distraction of the bottles and the arrays of little circles as they are a major magnet for the eye. The girl's reflection in the counter, however, is much more delicate and doesn't need the distraction from the upper right of the b.g.

So I'd consider cropping or else darkening the b.g to allow the portrait to dominate it's real estate in the canvas.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Hi Mike,

Thanks for accepting my offer to try some other presentation. Of course, the test is not whether or not it's impressive, but to the extent it continues your original ideas. The latter can evolve. I'm just offering some ways you might consider in delivering your concept.

4142946943_0fd27fbe98_oAK.jpg

Edits AK with permission

This does not become any finished piece with these edits but it might give you ideas for isolating her thoughts the next time.

Asher

Mike Nogle

Wow Asher, thanks!

This does open my eyes to how to better spotlight the most important part of the photo, while still keeping the setting and other motiffs intact. I learned a lot visually here. Now I have to hit the books and get more experience at photoshop.

Thanks again,

Mike

This does open my eyes to how to better spotlight the most important part of the photo, while still keeping the setting and other motiffs intact. I learned a lot visually here. Now I have to hit the books and get more experience at photoshop.

Hi Mike,

Photoshop is a useful tool for postprocessing, but don't get the idea that less effort is needed on the input/capture side.

After your additional info, it became a little bit easier to see what you were trying to accomplish, and thus to comment. What was unclear to me, and it still is a bit, is why you dedicated so much of the image's real estate to the OOF bottles. It probably is the result of you trying to include the resting hand. If you would have tried to focus on her reflective state, this would have been a more logical crop/composition:
MNCropped001.jpg

The viewer inevitably is caught by the dreamy look, because there is little distraction. Toning down the background would only enhance that.

Cheers,
Bart

Mike Nogle

I see what you are saying, but I wonder if the photo does not lose something by excluding the motif of the bar menu, and the angles of the background. Your crop does highlight the most important part, but does it take away from the impact, or interest of the photo?

Further insight would be appreciated.

Thanks Bart,

Mike

Jameson Smith

Hi Mike. I personally like the approach that Asher took to the re-edit but I think a recrop to more landscape/pano style in addition to that would enhance the portrait but keep the elements of the photo that are important to you. I would also like to see a touch more foreground to eliminate her head being cut off so slightly if it is available to include in the re-crop. Good shot.

Nigel Allan

Sorry for meddling, but I thought I would see if I could play with it at all and achieve anything. My PP skills are minimal but I thought you could either use a grad filter to darken the area with the bottles or even crop it differently altogether. I realise this is not what you were aiming for but I wanted to experiment - the second one is kind of spooky, though. I'll happily remove them if you disapprove.

regards
Nigel

reflective-2.jpg

reflective.jpg

Asher Kelman

Real Estate!

What was unclear to me, and it still is a bit, is why you dedicated so much of the image's real estate to the OOF bottles. It probably is the result of you trying to include the resting hand. If you would have tried to focus on her reflective state, this would have been a more logical crop/composition:

MNCropped001.jpg

The viewer inevitably is caught by the dreamy look, because there is little distraction. Toning down the background would only enhance that.

I must admit I like your approach, Bart!

You have tackled, head on, fearlessly, the issues of the distracting and probably unneeded bottles and the major undecided function of her left hand on the menu as if it was her fqamily bible, LOL!

You have offered a much more honest and clean representation of this young woman's reflection which likely have nothing to do with wine bottles or the menu!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Hi Mike,

Photoshop is a useful tool for postprocessing, but don't get the idea that less effort is needed on the input/capture side.

This is such a simple and almost self-evident instruction but one that deserves it's own place and attention, separate from the required image-specific discussion here. It's a good idea to take snapshots, ad hoc like this in order to capture the kind of moment one would like to image carefully with the right setup. Then one has the best of both world. So snap away and use photoshop to approach the design you think might work best. Then return to the image making task, now realizing the challenges and having solutions for everyone one you can think of. Draw the concept. Put in instructions to guide the model. Add lights. Optimize props, costume and makeup if needed.

So now, Mike!

In this case, can you redo the photograph from scratch. It would be a wonderful thing we could all learn from!

Use a simple lighting setup to take your idea to a new level of mesmerization for the viewer. We have to feel that this young lady is the most involved with introspection or evaluation of options than anyone has shown before.

Asher

Mike Nogle

Hi Mike,

Thanks for accepting my offer to try some other presentation. Of course, the test is not whether or not it's impressive, but to the extent it continues your original ideas. The latter can evolve. I'm just offering some ways you might consider in delivering your concept.

4142946943_0fd27fbe98_oAK.jpg

Edits AK with permission

This does not become any finished piece with these edits but it might give you ideas for isolating her thoughts the next time.

Asher[/QUOTE

Well, we did try a few more shots like this. The next one was cute, she looks like a flapper tending bar at a speak easy. I say this to high light how the moment is also a very important element here. The soft look on her face and the difference in the reflection is a one time thing, especially since she is not an experienced model.

I really like what Asher did with the photo. Nigel's re-angling was a concept that did not cross my mind at all, and I like it. Asher said something interesting to me, "the issues of the distracting and probably unneeded bottles and the major undecided function of her left hand on the menu as if it was her family bible, LOL!" It is interesting that you equate the drink menu to a family bible. That added with the bottles in the background adds so much to the story, rather than simply "pretty girl, intense reflection about whatever the viewer wants to think." I am sticking to Asher's original idea. Highlight the model, while diminishing the rest, yet leaving it there and keeping it recognizable.

Now, for the rest of the story! LOL This girls works in a "Russian" bar in S. Korea. She works 6 nights a week, from 8 pm to 4-6 am. The more drinks she sells, the more money she makes. Her job is to keep customers there and also to have them buy her a drink every time they order. One customer leaves, and another shows up and she keeps on drinking with the next customer. So really, Asher was pretty close with the drink menu being like a family bible. Especially true when you know how close of friends the bartenders are. And the bottles in the background tell where she is and what she does.

I know that minimalism is usually a good approach, especially if there is not a story to be told, or if angles, patterns and depth add to the photo's goals. To me, darkening the rest of the photo achieved the goal of minimalism enough because it draws the viewer to first study the girl and her reflection, and then also gives the viewer more to develop an impression of.

Cheers, and thanks so much for everyone's insight. Any more ideas, corrections to my thoughts of the photo, or simply furthering this discussion would be great. It is one thing to take a photo I like, and quite another to take one that others like. It is kind of like my cooking! LOL

Mike