• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Film: Daily life in Hungary, 1984

Nigel Allan

These were taken in March 1984 in Szekesfehervar, Hungary with my Pentax LX (possibly 50mm 1.4 or 80-200mm 4.5 - can't recall but they look slightly telephoto-esque) on Kodachrome and scanned from the slides with Nikon Coolscan 5000 ED. Full frame, no digital PP except minor sharpening and cleaning up bits of dust from the scans

Not sure if these belong in travel or photojournalism. Hope you enjoy them anyway

IMG0003.jpg

1. Nigel Allan: Old man, Hungary 1984

IMG0007.jpg

2. Nigel Allan: Water supply, Hungary 1984

Wendy Thurman

Nigel-

These are interesting. Very nice colour; "Water Supply" I quite like. Do you have any more?

I've quite a few chromes that one day I need to scan...

Wendy

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
These were taken in March 1984 in Szekesfehervar, Hungary with my Pentax LX (possibly 50mm 1.4 or 80-200mm 4.5 - can't recall but they look slightly telephoto-esque) on Kodachrome and scanned from the slides with Nikon Coolscan 5000 ED. Full frame, no digital PP except minor sharpening and cleaning up bits of dust from the scans

Not sure if these belong in travel or photojournalism. Hope you enjoy them anyway.

IMG0003.jpg

This first chap does not really seem that old, Nigel! How old is "old" here, thinkest, thou? I like him and think he's probably a bit grumpy but has some good stories to tell of the Soviet domination times!

IMG0007.jpg

This one has delightful chrome, almost technicolor appearance. I imagine there are still places in Easter Europe like this with such water supply. The Nikon 5000 ED is a worthwhile tool to have. Does it have a slide feeder?

Asher

Nigel Allan

IMG0003.jpg

This first chap does not really seem that old, Nigel! How old is "old" here, thinkest, thou? I like him and think he's probably a bit grumpy but has some good stories to tell of the Soviet domination times!

IMG0007.jpg

This one has delightful chrome, almost technicolor appearance. I imagine there are still places in Easter Europe like this with such water supply. The Nikon 5000 ED is a worthwhile tool to have. Does it have a slide feeder?

Asher

Thanks Wendy and Asher, I called him old man because I couldn't think of a title :) Now that I am 50 noone seems old any more LOL

I should have called it afternoon stroll

Yes it takes slides one by one, although if you ever wanted to scan MF or LF then the 9000 model is the one, but that is about three times the price. I snapped up my 5000 ED on eBay a few weeks ago once I heard that Nikon had ceased all production of film scanners and that there was nothing comparable out there apart from a Hasselblad one which costs 10 times the price!

I know these are old shots I am raiding from my past but I will eventually get round to shooting film and tranny again and using the 5000 ED as an interface to digitize them, which may seem strange to people who have never used film and wonder what all the fuss is about and why i would go to so much trouble. For me, film has a quality that currently digitial cannot emulate and by shooting in film and then scanning into digital it also produces a 'finish' that would be hard to match with pure digital files I suspect (unless you are some Photoshop genius, which I am not, and even then...) so I quite like the 'differnt' look and feel you can create

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Nigel,

You have got me looking for the connectors for my scanners, set aside since I have been so busy with digital. Trouble is that my Scanner, although very good at 600 dpi, that's all it does! I may get a new Epson 700 series professional version.

I like the nuanced way the colors have come out. There's something painterly and seemly genuine about the esthetic experience.

Asher

Nigel Allan

Thank you Asher. 'Painterly quality' is an interesting observation as I haven't been able to verbalise what I feel about film very well. It was Cedric's 'Chimney' picture which started this whole process for me as I instinctively reacted to its beautiful smooth tones on a gut level - and only after he revealed that it was shot on film and scanned did the penny drop for me that I was responding to film differently from digital.

Regardless of any 'technical' description of the benefits of digital, it seems that our subconscious responds differently to these two media, as this is certainly the case with me, and I liken it to some musical purists' hatred of CDs compared to the hissy, scratchy 33 RPM but analogue vinyl LPs which they say sound more natural. I believe our brains process data in an analogue way and digital jars with us on a deep level which is sometimes hard to express in words.