• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: Goings On

Prateek Dubey

24801-fullsize.jpg

Prateek Dubey: Goings On

This was an excercise in making busier and busier pictures. I converted this to B&W after a lot of deliberation. The idea was to show a moment in time where a normal Indian life could be captured. I've taken a colored one too, which quite achieves that. I'll share it later.

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Prateek,
Another splendid look into the busy world that surrounds you!
The title is spot-on.
There's so much going on!
The 3 men in the background struggling with the bundle while the boss looks on, the passerby with his briefcase, the confusion of bicycles and the two men seated opposing one another in the foreground...so much to absorb!
I not sure if I'd ever want to see a colorized version. The B&W is superb!

Prateek Dubey

Hi Prateek,
Another splendid look into the busy world that surrounds you!
The title is spot-on.
There's so much going on!
The 3 men in the background struggling with the bundle while the boss looks on, the passerby with his briefcase, the confusion of bicycles and the two men seated opposing one another in the foreground...so much to absorb!
I not sure if I'd ever want to see a colorized version. The B&W is superb!

Thank you John.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
24801-fullsize.jpg

Prateek,

First, I appreciate seeing your photograph, "Goings On", positioned centrally with white space all around. I like to see worthy images placed with respect, as in a fine gallery. Your pictures certainly are that worthy. It's also refreshing to see evidence of a mental concept that is being materialized to a photograph. So this is no longer "just a snap".

There was a time when there was simply no easy way at home to match with color, the perfection possible with B&W, in one's own home darkroom. It was such a time consuming and frustrating task. So a lot of home processing remained B&W. Now color seems to be king. Cameras are optimized for that. Inexpensive printers for home use deliver fine color with little fuss at all.

So when we see B&W photography, something else is going on! Perhaps the photographer had awful colors, because that's what some people use for their clothes and buildings. Allow me to emphasize the following:

Here, however, you have seen a different vision!
So, you've removed some of the local distractions
signalled by colors and allowed shapes to play out,
according to nature, activity and placement alone.

That turns out to be a good decision. Likely, the color version was good to, but this picture is a very good expresion of your stated concept.

Thanks for sharing!

Asher

Ruben Alfu

Hi Prateek, I liked this photo at first sight: busy place, different stories developing at once, well composed, etc.., then a second later I notice the guys with the package, what a detail, for me, that´s what makes this photo special, the cherry on top of the cake. Everybody else looks pretty much relaxed while these guys are having such a hard time with that package.They add an element of humor to the image wich otherwise would have a more "serious" character influenced by the severe expression of the biker in the foreground. Also, the relative positions of these individuals at both extremes of the frame is an interesting symbolic coincidence.

Respect to the BW, my first reaction was that it was counterproductive for an exercise about "busier pictures". I understand and find logic in what Asher points out, even more, I respect your desicion to make this choice as part of what you want to accomplish with this image. If you decide to post a color version, I do would like to see it, just as an intellectual exercise and for the sake of my own learning, I´d like to see if and how much the color affects my appreciation of this image.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Respect to the BW, my first reaction was that it was counterproductive for an exercise about "busier pictures". I understand and find logic in what Asher points out, even more, I respect your desicion to make this choice as part of what you want to accomplish with this image. If you decide to post a color version, I do would like to see it, just as an intellectual exercise and for the sake of my own learning, I´d like to see if and how much the color affects my appreciation of this image.

Yes, the difference in your reaction would be valuable to document. The picture with its diverse figures really stands well on its own with just the title. could color give an extra level of richness but not detract from the concept? We'll have to see.

Asher

Mike Shimwell

Prateek

Another fine moment, and I very much like the your black and white conversion - a nice range of tones. Without seeing the colur version it's no9t possible to say which I would prefer, but as it stands I am not wanting to see colour as the Black and white stands without any excuse.

Mike

Prateek Dubey

Hi Prateek, I liked this photo at first sight: busy place, different stories developing at once, well composed, etc.., then a second later I notice the guys with the package, what a detail, for me, that´s what makes this photo special, the cherry on top of the cake. Everybody else looks pretty much relaxed while these guys are having such a hard time with that package.They add an element of humor to the image wich otherwise would have a more "serious" character influenced by the severe expression of the biker in the foreground. Also, the relative positions of these individuals at both extremes of the frame is an interesting symbolic coincidence.

Hello Ruben,
Thank you for your time. At the moment I can't post a colored version of this picture but I'm following up on 'Goings On' concept. The reason being I can't upload directly from the computer. Color has to lend some quality to the picture. If it is taking away, then it needs to be discarded..

Prateek Dubey

Goings On II

24994-fullsize.jpg

Prateek Dubey: Goings On II

The purpose of this excercise was to make many elements work individually to create a picture which is beyond documentary or a snapshot. I'm not sure whether I've succeeded here. The success rate with these pictures are abysmally low. I've been going to a place again and again to catch something of value. With a big question mark, what is the soul of a place? People? Color? Texture? Light. Since one thing cannot completely describe it,so many things need to work precisely. Again, not compositionally perfect, but the color of vegetables and the mobile( something unthinkable 5 yrs ago) make the image for me.

Ruben Alfu

Hello Patreek, this is a fascinating experiment, so far I´m impressed with all your work and look forward to see this Going On series, well, going.

Prateek Dubey

24801-fullsize.jpg

This was an excercise in making busier and busier pictures. I converted this to B&W after a lot of deliberation. The idea was to show a moment in time where a normal Indian life could be captured. I've taken a colored one too, which quite achieves that. I'll share it later.

Goings On III

r134852-fullsize.jpg