PDA

View Full Version : 5D filing question

Ralph Honsbeek
December 7th, 2009, 06:30 AM
Hi ,

So I picked up that 5D i wanted , and the Firmware is set to 1.1.1. which i believe is the latest .
I have a question several thing , namely first the files are all named _IM_#### , I wonder if this is normal , starting of with a hyphen _ in the beginning ? Is there anyway I can change this like in the 1D mark III series ?

Second , Like my 1D Mark III I have an option to shut down the annoying focus search if initially focus could not have been established , I find that the 5D is constantly trying to Auto Focus on stuff I don't want focused in AI Servo mode (of course) in my 1d mIII I could shut this off in settings !

Thanks a lot

Ralph

Bart_van_der_Wolf
December 7th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Hi ,

So I picked up that 5D i wanted , and the Firmware is set to 1.1.1. which i believe is the latest .
I have a question several thing , namely first the files are all named _IM_#### , I wonder if this is normal , starting of with a hyphen _ in the beginning ? Is there anyway I can change this like in the 1D mark III series ?

Hi Ralph,

The leading underscore in the file name is linked to the selection of Adobe RGB as colorspace for the JPEGs/Thumbnails in most Canon models. When you switch to sRGB the underscore no longer replaces the 'I'. I suppose it also works similar in a 5D.

Second , Like my 1D Mark III I have an option to shut down the annoying focus search if initially focus could not have been established , I find that the 5D is constantly trying to Auto Focus on stuff I don't want focused in AI Servo mode (of course) in my 1d mIII I could shut this off in settings !

I'll leave that for others who do have some personal experience with the 5D, but it might be a 1 series feature.

Cheers,
Bart

Doug Kerr
December 7th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Hi, Ralph,

So I picked up that 5D i wanted , and the Firmware is set to 1.1.1. which i believe is the latest.

You must have the color space set to other than sRGB.

The standard for the file format prescribes that, when the color space is not sRGB (the "norm" for that file type), the filename should begin with "_" as an alert. And Canon honors that. (That is an underscore, not a hyphen, by the way.)

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman
December 7th, 2009, 12:13 PM
........... and when one uses the Green square for the easy beginners mode one can get IMG not _MG. I have to check the underscore. I just discovered that when someone borrowed my camera!

Asher

Ralph Honsbeek
December 8th, 2009, 05:26 AM
color space , got ya ,

Now what about the Focus search thing ?