• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: Goings On III

Prateek Dubey

r133334-fullsize.jpg

Prateek Dubey: Goings On

fahim mohammed

Prateek, the more I see of your wonderful photographs, the more similarity I find between India and
Nepal. Is this a coincidence?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
r133334-fullsize.jpg

Prateek Dubey: Goings On

Prateek thanks for giving us another vicarious travel view alongside you! This is so enjoyable and rich in color and life. You are a great guide and your eye and choices for us are enjoyed by us all.

I do find the movement on the right is agreeable and works. This is a wonderful moment. If this was the extent of the blur, it could be very effective.

However, the other blurs don't so well for me! These alterations disturb the perception of reality and call attention to your interfering hand. The sharpness of the boy is another issue. Instead of just enjoying the image, we're lead to think about what you changed. You might consider an over all blur instead or else a slow shutter. Look at the work of Rainer Viertböck’s in his simple pictures in Venice, here

Asher

Prateek Dubey

Prateek thanks for giving us another vicarious travel view alongside you! This is so enjoyable and rich in color and life. You are a great guide and your eye and choices for us are enjoyed by us all.

I do find the movement on the right is agreeable and works. This is a wonderful moment. If this was the extent of the blur, it could be very effective.

However, the other blurs don't so well for me! These alterations disturb the perception of reality and call attention to your interfering hand. The sharpness of the boy is another issue. Instead of just enjoying the image, we're lead to think about what you changed. You might consider an over all blur instead or else a slow shutter. Look at the work of Rainer Viertböck’s in his simple pictures in Venice, here

Asher

Hello Asher,
This is a slow shutter moment. The boy is also not that sharp because he may have moved. The only post process I've done is deepening of the corners ( to bring the central motif out). I've taken a few such pictures to catch glimpses of stillness in a fast moving world. One of the few moments I've used a tripod to take pictures.

PS: I've also cropped the frame. The sky was virtually blown out..

Prateek Dubey

Prateek, the more I see of your wonderful photographs, the more similarity I find between India and
Nepal. Is this a coincidence?

Hello Fahim,
I think India and Nepal are virtually the same culture, though as countries we don't get along very well. This picture is of a very busy street in Delhi, famous for sewing machine parts and silk fabrics..

Prateek Dubey

very clever. Is this some sort of PP trickery or did you ask the young boy to stand dead still?

Hello Nigel,
There is absolutly no PP trickery. The boy stood still for a few seconds and I took his picture. He must've been trasfixed by this guy weilding a strange contraption and fussing over it ( occasionally cursing too)....

Asher Kelman

Hello Asher,
This is a slow shutter moment. The boy is also not that sharp because he may have moved. The only post process.

Now I'm happy and will start all over again! Now I find the blurred cart even more interesting and important and it moves with respect to the boys cart. What's to the left of the boy, then seems to be a distraction. In fact, the left 1/3 of the boys cart could go. That would provide a better anchor with which to start the image and from which to realize the movement of the cart. That's already enough. However, this is just my feeling today, after having only spent one day with it.

Asher

Last edited:

Prateek Dubey

Now I'm happy and will start all over again! Now I find the blurred cart even more interesting and important and it moves with respect to the boys cart. What's to the left of the boy, then seems to be a distraction. In fact, the left 1/3 of the boys cart could go. That would provide a better anchor with which to start the image and from which to realize the movement of the cart. That's already enough. However, this is just my feeling today, after having only spent one day with it.

Asher

Hello Asher,
I'd cropped the picture the way you suggested an indeed it looks better. With blur on just the right side, the image gets more momentum. Unfortunately I cannot upload it, so we'll have to suffer this.
I was reading Alain Broit's article on how to see like a master. I realised that in the 'goings on' series I'm trying to do just the opposite. No wonder this method hardly yeilds a visually appealing picture.

Asher Kelman

Hello Asher,
I'd cropped the picture the way you suggested an indeed it looks better. With blur on just the right side, the image gets more momentum. Unfortunately I cannot upload it, so we'll have to suffer this.

How come you can upload the other pictures and not this?

Anyway, can you mail it to me editorDOTopfATmac.com

I was reading Alain Broit's article on how to see like a master. I realised that in the 'goings on' series I'm trying to do just the opposite. No wonder this method hardly yeilds a visually appealing picture.
Excellent. however, you can't use that as a bible! Alain gives what he does for himself. You have to have your own vision. How he works is with his vision. He just tries to share how he comes to his way of looking. You must find your own, of course!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Hello Asher,

Thanks for sending it!

Delhi _94_ copy.jpg

Prateek Dubey: Goings On III

I do like this more powerful presentation. You are definitive in chopping away parts you must have liked, but we do have to murder our darlings along the way!

Asher

Prateek Dubey

Thanks for sending it!

Delhi _94_ copy.jpg

Prateek Dubey: Goings On III

I do like this more powerful presentation. You are definitive in chopping away parts you must have liked, but we do have to murder our darlings along the way!

Asher
lol. that's a good one. One thing I've been told by a friend who aspires to be an actor is that even great directors cannot edit their work effectively. I really appreciate your insight..