• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Sweet Pea

Sydney Rester

I shot this using the 60mm 2.8 macro lens, and I love the way most of it looks (except for the blurry blanket - that's a problem, right?) But the detail it captured in the fur and the eye color rather astounded me. Thoughts?

4167845286_34177dc349_b.jpg

fahim mohammed

Hi Sydney...Sweet Pea must be a very beloved member of the family. Macros generally need to be used
at bigger apertures to provide dof. Close up requires accurate focussing and steady hands ( read tripods and the like ).

The loss of detail in the blanket is not an issue if that was your intention. However I was wondering
where your focus point was? if it was on the cornea, I would expect to get a much sharper picture out
of the macro.

Best.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Sydney,

Macro even of a butterfly on a pin in a collection is a challenge as Fahim as indicated: narrow depth of field. The idea of this lens as close distance with a living cat, is one that most folk wouldn't attempt. However, with the same lens at 6 feet you are already doing better. This happens to be a great lens and you have enough pixels to spare. I'd close down the aperture to f 8 and see what you get. Also you can post this at say 600 pixels wide so it does not require a lot of bandwidth. Unless you have some fine detail you need to show.

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
PS:
New layer linear light / High pass filter, radius to 0.4
selection of the eye, saturation to 20% then USM 15/15/5

Sharpen in PP may help?

I do like the short DOF, enhanced by the sharpening (by contrast with soft areas)

Attachments

• 4167845286_34177dc349_b.jpg
    4167845286_34177dc349_b.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 89