• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Film: Piccadilly Circus, circa 1984

Nigel Allan

I am seeing my old negs in a new light (no pun intended) now I have the benefit of 'maturity' and a new film scanner. When I can get round to learning decent Photoshop skills so I can clean them up properly I'll be really happy.

But here's one from the archives I found in my neg file which I never printed at the time but now find interesting.

Pentax LX 50mm 1.4mm Fortepan (100 ASA/ISO Hungarian black and white film - like HP5 but a fraction of the price)

IMG0015.jpg

Nigel Allan: Piccadilly Circus, circa 1984

Ruben Alfu

Hi Nigel, interesting photo. The framing and her expression makes her look away from all the fuzz, and she's also empowered, self confident. The Philips sign might be there just as a reference but it´s so prominent alone there in the bg, it seems to imply something else.

Nigel Allan

Hi Nigel, interesting photo. The framing and her expression makes her look away from all the fuzz, and she's also empowered, self confident. The Philips sign might be there just as a reference but it´s so prominent alone there in the bg, it seems to imply something else.

Thanks Ruben, there was no attempt to imply anything except to have the light from the sign as a reference point showing that we were at Piccadilly Circus. I was more interested in the way her face was lit by the surrounding lights with the heavy black night sky. I also found the angle interesting. As you can see from my other pictures of Elisabet from this period, we used to play around a lot for fun, nothing more....but if Philips want to pay me a royalty for this advert I won't turn down their money :)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I am seeing my old negs in a new light (no pun intended) now I have the benefit of 'maturity' and a new film scanner. When I can get round to learning decent Photoshop skills so I can clean them up properly I'll be really happy.

But here's one from the archives I found in my neg file which I never printed at the time but now find interesting.

Pentax LX 50mm 1.4mm Fortepan (100 ASA/ISO Hungarian black and white film - like HP5 but a fraction of the price)

IMG0015.jpg

Nigel Allan: Piccadilly Circus, circa 1984

Nigel,

I missed this one it seems! Elisabet looks very heroic in this photograph. How does it print? Is it similar to the Ilford?

Asher

Nigel Allan

Nigel,

I missed this one it seems! Elisabet looks very heroic in this photograph. How does it print? Is it similar to the Ilford?

Asher

I would say so, Asher. For film that used to sell for the equivalent of about 15-20 cents a roll or similiar it was absolutely wonderful - exactly how you would expect and hope 100 ASA to be. I still have some that's been in my bag in the loft for years. I thinking of firing it off just to see if it works at all :)

Asher Kelman

Ngel,

You pictures in real film are a treat for us. Keep us fed! A major feature and hope of OPF is too expose photographers to various ways of getting their ideas materialized into a unique form. Flm, especially B&W offers such an opportunity. However, digital capture s so straghtforward, that the more pensive approach to making mages can get lost.

So a special thanks to you Nigel and the other film guys for sharing your special work.

Asher

Nigel Allan

Asher, that's one of the nicest things you could have said. Like every human being I appreciate being appreciated.

I agree fully, film does tend to make you consider each frame more, especially since you only have 36 to play with and therefore you want to make each a keeper if possible. You don't have the luxury of instant review and deletion of a so-so shot.

Steve Robinson

When I first saw the image I just knew you had used a Pentax to shoot it! ;~) I miss using B&W film. The anticipation of seeing what you've captured was as exciting as the shooting. It didn't hurt that most of the film and chemicals were free at the time. I've got 3 vintage Pentax's I could load up with some B&W and I've got a stainless steel developing tank and reels somewhere. Hmmm. Of course by now I might have gotten too used to the instant gratification (or disgust) offered by our current cameras.

Asher Kelman

When I first saw the image I just knew you had used a Pentax to shoot it! ;~) I miss using B&W film. The anticipation of seeing what you've captured was as exciting as the shooting. It didn't hurt that most of the film and chemicals were free at the time. I've got 3 vintage Pentax's I could load up with some B&W and I've got a stainless steel developing tank and reels somewhere. Hmmm. Of course by now I might have gotten too used to the instant gratification (or disgust) offered by our current cameras.

Will you really do that? If you do, let me know and 'll dig up my old Pentax Spotmatic too! I have just two lenses, a 50 1.4 and a something to 200mm zoom.

Asher