• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Office & Parking Area

Paul Abbott

I documented this scene in the east end of London today (15/12/09), quite near to the Olympic site.
I partially included the signage into the shot to juxtapose and break up the rundown austerity of the place.
I liked the light and offbeat nature of the scene too. This one is heading for my wall. :)

southerncomfort1of1bor640.jpg

Paul Abbott - Office & Parking Area - East London '09

Ruben Alfu

Hi Paul, I like it, very good. The radiant Southern Comfort sign dominates and leaves room for many interpretations, and there is plenty of lines, textures and moods going on here that makes it an interesting and pleasant image. Finally, the jet stream is a nice touch that helps to propel my imagination.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Paul,

I like it very much, lots of different materials and textures. It works in color, yet it comes together better in B&W.

Asher

Prateek Dubey

I documented this scene in the east end of London today (15/12/09), quite near to the Olympic site.
I partially included the signage into the shot to juxtapose and break up the rundown austerity of the place.
I liked the light and offbeat nature of the scene too. This one is heading for my wall. :)

southerncomfort1of1bor640.jpg

Paul Abbott - Office & Parking Area - East London '09

Paul, I think it a lovely composition. Almost all the elements ( except the geometrical distortion) come together to create a pleasing image with strong social references...

Paul Abbott

Thanks for looking and commenting, guys.

Asher, your right about B&W. I agree with you. I love the tones it gives in this image, you've tried it yourself I take it?
Lately though i've been itching to use colour in some of my images.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thanks for looking and commenting, guys.

Asher, your right about B&W. I agree with you. I love the tones it gives in this image, you've tried it yourself I take it?
Lately though i've been itching to use colour in some of my images.
Paul,

When there's sienna in leaves, it's hard to give it up. Here however, the colors scream and are not civil. That's the whole rationale behind use of color by humans: it's to attract attention, not to fit in.

With B&W, then rational measurement of the worth of things is possible again. It's like feeling curves with the lights out. After all, one has the ability to build a perfectly good image of a body just from touch. I think B&W is something like that.

Asher

Paul Abbott

Asher, it is a difficult choice for me to make with this photograph. The inclusion of the ad sign and its colour, as well as that lovely blue sky shouts of a more convivial place and time which is in direct contrast to this austere workplace, which is in shadow. Thats why I chose colour over B&W for this image.
At the same time there are other elements in the shot that benefit from a mono' conversion, as you mentioned.