• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Information overload

John Angulat

pro member
I am always amazed at the bravery of tourists and visitors when attempting to navigate New York's subway system.
Maps are indecipherable and impossible to locate.
Service disruptions are the norm, and the express train you expect to be running on track 1 is now running local service only on track 4 (but bypassing stations X, Y, and Z)...but somehow we manage to get to our destinations!
As I exited at Wall Street I noticed the unoccupied token booth (now you didn't really expect a real person to be there, did you?).
I was amazed at the myriad of signs, notices, warnings and who-knows-what-else that confronted the passing public.

JJA_3747editedsm.jpg

Life in NYC...from my wanderings

fahim mohammed

John, nice find. I can relate to similar confusion that I, sometimes, have found myself in. Trying to
change inter-city trains in Milan or Tokyo. During the evening rush hours and trying
to get directions has been an exercise in Shaolin restraint.

I am sure New York would be the same ( at least I speak the language..or do I? )

Best.

Ruben Alfu

Hi John, interesting observation, you are addressing a problem overly overlooked and precisely because of this, IMHO it would be better to dramatize the image a bit, maybe with a lot more signs filling the whole photo, or people in the scene demonstrating confusion... something to shake us from our adaptation to all this noise.

Last edited:

John Angulat

pro member
Fahim, thank so much for looking and the kind remarks.
Ruben, you bring up a very good point - there seems a need for human interaction.
With as much time as I spend wandering the subway system, I'll keep an eye opened for another opportunity!