• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Picture show by Garrison Keillor, article at Salon.com

Mary Bull

Hello all!

On my early morning download of e-mail from the news sites I subscribe to, a link to this fascinating article found at Salon:

http://salon.com/opinion/feature/2006/09/27/keillor/index.html?source=newsletter
Picture show

The camera can turn callow teens into celebrities and make Bush look like a pilot. Are photo ops ruining America?

By Garrison Keillor
A further fair-use quote from it:
In Grandma's day, you were photographed as an infant, and again as a child, seated on a pony, and then at your wedding, and occasionally with your family, all of you sitting straight and stiff as judges at a hanging. Then came the Kodak, which opened the door to the commemoration of daily life, the family gallery on the refrigerator door, and now here is the cellphone. Instant gratification. Snap and look.
This is from the middle of the article. The paragraph just above it is even more fascinating. And the ones below it, a really fine read, up-close and personal with Keillor.

I related to his comments about his pleasure in the near-sighted view which he gets of the world without his glasses. And how putting them back on re-sets him into reality, political, personal, and more.

Have a read, and then perhaps we could talk about all the things he touches on, here at the Layback Cafe.

Mary