• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Afternoon walk in Newcastle

Mike Shimwell

Sorry I've been away - various reasons, but yesterday I took a half hour walk around the Tyne Bridge are in Newcastle and thought I'd share a few of the pictures. All are with the little Ricoh GX200.

Here's the first, hopefully a couple more to follow when I've processed some.

C&C welcome of course.

Mike

4277569820_b287073b94_o.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Mike,

Glad to see this. The lights on the left seem like flames! Great concept! Is color adding anything for your concept?

Is the blue sky a distraction perhaps?

Asher

Mike Shimwell

Hi Asher,

Funny, I originally shot it in monochrome and that was how I envisioned it. The colour version is really a bit of an experiment and I think I'll settle on monchrome in the end...

Here's a quick mock up:)

Mike

4276852529_660c7149aa_o.jpg

Asher Kelman

Hi Asher,

Funny, I originally shot it in monochrome and that was how I envisioned it. The colour version is really a bit of an experiment and I think I'll settle on monchrome in the end...

Here's a quick mock up:)

4276852529_660c7149aa_o.jpg

Mike Shimwell: Afternoon walk in Newcastle

Mike,

This is such a good example of the rearranging of the strengths of components of an image's composition by removing the hue information. That blue sky, covering so much real estate and always important to us, now gives up it's dominance, allowing the perspective lines of the path, lights and ironwork to take us to the two figures in the distance.

This is, IMHO, how it should be, unless there's some function for that blue!

Asher

Ruben Alfu

Hello Mike, what a great come back! It´s a pretty, elegant, and striking perspective, BW wins hands down for me. That vertical line at the center carries a strong symbolism. It marks a division between style and function, or light and darkness... and the human figures are dwarfed in the middle of this confrontation. I think I would like the image even better with the bottom cropped up to the base of the first lamp.

Love it, very well done.

Asher Kelman

Removing color and finding the hidden picture within a recorded image.

Hello Mike, what a great come back! It´s a pretty, elegant, and striking perspective, BW wins hands down for me. That vertical line at the center carries a strong symbolism. It marks a division between style and function, or light and darkness... and the human figures are dwarfed in the middle of this confrontation. I think I would like the image even better with the bottom cropped up to the base of the first lamp.

Love it, very well done.

Ruben,

This is to you, but really also to those who somehow feel that B&W is draining color from a picture or a way of rescuing something that does not work. On the contrary. We merely sample the shapes, patterns and textures reflected and sent to us and from that write a drawing with that light.

There's no reason why we should use all the light that arrives. That's why we choose UV, polarizing or colored filters. In all cases, we are just choosing the wavelengths and polarizing qualities we need to build our picture. There is no truth here, just a photonic echo of what was once in exsitence and will never be the same again.

This example of finding the beautiful image worth contemplating by removing the extraneous wavelengths which detract from the important essence of the potential drama built in but masked by raz-mat-taz eye catching but functional orphaned color, here the blue of the sky.

I say this also for my good friend Nicolas from Bordeaux who suffers when color is lost too easily. But here I think Mike will be forgiven!

Asher

Mike Shimwell

Everyone, thanks.

Perhaps tis shows that sometimes the first idea is best. I saw this in black and white and was seduced by the colour when I was in lightroom... Ruben, your suggested crop works well - I'll make a couple of test prints and leave them on the wall for a few days.

Here's another from the same walk.

Cheers

Mike

Quayside - Mike Shimwell
4277599586_4f5bd099a0_o.jpg

Mike Shimwell

Please indulge me - I'm having some fun with this set...

Love the noisy and course drawing of some of these.

Mike

Millenium Bridge, Newcastle - Mike Shimwell
4286861070_2bbd8078f4_o.jpg