• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: Waiting for Spring

StuartRae

A horse-chestnut sticky bud, waiting to burst into leaf sometime in April.

Not really a macro as it was taken with my 70-200.

It was raining so hard (you can see it in the image) that I didn't care to go outside with my macro lens, so I took it from the shelter of my back door.

EOS 350D, 70-200 f/4 IS @ 200mm, f4, 1/20 sec, ISO 200.

sticky-bud.jpg

Start Rae: Waiting for Spring

EOS 350D, 70-200 f/4 IS @ 200mm, f4, 1/20 sec, ISO 200

Regards,

Stuart

Last edited by a moderator:

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Stuart,

Your 70-200 is reasonably waterproof but the 350D isn't unfortunately. So I can understand why you have hesitated going out in such bad weather. Perhaps you can wrap the camera in a transparent plastic bag and try another go at this bud another time.

Cheers,

PS: the picture seems to have been over sharpened, BTW.

Mike Shimwell

Hi Stuart,

Your 70-200 is reasonably waterproof but the 350D isn't unfortunately. So I can understand why you have hesitated going out in such bad weather. Perhaps you can wrap the camera in a transparent plastic bag and try another go at this bud another time.

Cheers,

PS: the picture seems to have been over sharpened, BTW.

Yes, braving the rain requires a somewhat 'ho hum' attitude. I think the oversharpening is actually a little bit of motion blur. The IS is sorely tested at 1/20 and 200mm on a crop body.

Cheers

Mike

StuartRae

Thanks for the comments chaps.

Your 70-200 is reasonably waterproof but the 350D isn't unfortunately.
Hi Cem,

If I'd gone outside to get closer I'd have used a macro lens and tripod. Neither the EF-S 60mm or the Sigma 180mm are waterproof :-(

I think the oversharpening is actually a little bit of motion blur.
Hi Mike,

I think that's probably the case, as it was a bit windy as well. I didn't do any USM sharpening, just a 1px de-blur with Focus Magic.

Regards,

Stuart

StuartRae

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I swear I posted a follow-up. Am I losing it?

The next day was nice and sunny, so I tried again.

IMG_4349-01.jpg

Regards,

Stuart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
April 16th.

As pretty as any flower.

Indeed!

IMG_4381-01.jpg

Stuart,

This picture is so dynamic. We can see the bud pushing upwards, each new element sliding out from the one sheathing it so that it extends like a phallus that the sky has awakened.

Asher

StuartRae

April 20th.

Probably the last one of the series, and incidentally the very first shot with my new 50D.

Ejaculation is almost complete.

IMG_0001-01.jpg

Well, maybe just one more, as I know how eagerly you all look forward to each update.

Regards,

Stuart