• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Brasstown Falls In South Carolina First Post

Don Ferguson Jr.

I do photography as a hobby . I was pleased with this picture.

img20060912013702abx2.jpg

Aaron Strasburg

That's a beautiful falls, I also would like to see more. I'm an oddball, but I actually like the frozen water look of a fast shutter speed as well so I tend to shoot that range as well.

Mary Bull

Don Ferguson Jr. said:
I do photography as a hobby . I was pleased with this picture.
I think it's beautiful.

Please post some more of your work.

We all like to look, and there can never be too many pictures here, I think.

Mary

A belated welcome to OPF, Don. I've been out of town/out of touch for the past 2 weeks (a wonderful trip to the Galapagos!), and have just returned, and am busy trying to catch up on a variety of matters.

A very nice photo, hobbyist or not! I look forward to seeing more.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Aaron Strasburg said:
That's a beautiful falls, I also would like to see more. I'm an oddball, but I actually like the frozen water look of a fast shutter speed as well so I tend to shoot that range as well.

I too like the frozen look of the water in fast shots. I don't know where this approach of slow shutter speed came from, but it seems to have taken over as the desired esthetic.

Now this picture is beautiful anyway!

Asher

JohanElzenga

It's a nice picture, but I do think it can be improved. First, there is a slight blue cast over the image. Try the 'Photo Filter' option in Photoshop and add a warm filter. Next I would use 'Shadow/Highlight' to lower the highlights a bit and to increase detail in the shadows.

Don Ferguson Jr.

Thanks for the tip Johan . I appreciate any advice. I have PSE3 and applied them, and it looked better . Regards Don
How is this for redone ?
img20060912013702a1tz8.jpg

Last edited:

Don Ferguson Jr.

Asher the picture above is redone .I applied the warm filter and the white of the waterfall highlight is dimished some. What do you think ? Is it too dark? Thanks, Don

Asher Kelman

Don,

The color seems to be much improved and the changes to the waterfall are great. I wonder whether you might want to sharpen the rocks a little so that the water contrasts with them.

Asher

Don Ferguson Jr.

Thanks for responding .So it is not too dark ? How would you sharpen the rocks?The ones in foreground by themselves I have PSE3 . Thanks ,Don

Don Lashier

Don Ferguson Jr. said:
Thanks for responding .So it is not too dark ? How would you sharpen the rocks?The ones in foreground by themselves I have PSE3 . Thanks ,Don
There's a number of ways to do this but probably the easiest is to dup the layer, sharpen to taste, then add a layer mask (hide all) and spray paint (soft brush, maybe 30% to give control and softness to the edge) in white on the mask as desired (ie on the rocks and maybe on the leaves). If you just single click the mask icon rather than alt-clicking (which displays the mask instead), you'll be able to see the effect as you spray. If you over-do or get into an area you don't want to sharpen, just toggle the palette and spray black to hide the sharpened version.

- DL

Don Ferguson Jr.

Thanks Don I will try to play around with this metod .I am new to pp . I checked out your web site very nice layout and pics.
Regards ,Don.

Don Lashier

Don Ferguson Jr. said:
Thanks Don I will try to play around with this metod .I am new to pp . I checked out your web site very nice layout and pics.
Regards ,Don.
Don, I just noticed that you're using Elements. I'm not sure that PSE supports layer masks (maybe the latest v does). If not, google and you'll find a method for emulating layer masks using PSE.

- DL

Don Ferguson Jr.

I have Grants Tools so I can do masks with it. I am confused you are talking about using the mask for the sharpening . Thanks

Don Lashier

Don Ferguson Jr. said:
I am confused you are talking about using the mask for the sharpening .
Sharpen a dup layer (on top of the unsharpend or mildly sharpened on) then use the mask to only allow selected portions of it to show. You can also do this by making a selection first then sharpening, but then it's much harder (or impossible) to tune the selection. I wish Adobe would allow a sharpening adjustment layer because then you could also tweak the sharpening parameters after the fact, but the masked layer method works well enough perhaps combined with adjusting the layer transparency.

- DL

JohanElzenga

The colors are much better now, if you ask me. Here's a final tip. I would crop the image a little. Take away about 0.5 inch off the left side, so the tree forms the edge of the photo, just like it does on the right side. Also crop a little from the top (the white sky) and perhaps a little from the bottom to restore the aspect ratio.
img20060912013702a1tz8.jpg

Don Ferguson Jr.

Johan,again thanks for the tips and showing result. It is nice when people as experienced as you comment and advise.
Best Regards,
Don

Asher Kelman

Don Ferguson Jr. said:
Johan,again thanks for the tips and showing result. It is nice when people as experienced as you comment and advise.
Best Regards,
Don

Well, Don, the rocks and leaves are still not sharpenned! The crop, however is very pleasing so that is a step forward.

I think it is really a good excercise to try to follow Don Lashier's instructions. If you can do this, you would have jumped to a whole new plane of P.S. capability.

Masking is one of the most powerful tool in P.S.

Selection of objects using any tools, such as the "lasso" or even a simple rectangle are examples of "masking" excpet you don't see the black layer.

The advantage of the mask is that it can be reversed easily by painting with either a white of black brush.

So the next step is to learn to make a mask!

Try it. If you get stuck, let us know! The new P.S. Elements has layers AFAIK.

Asher

Ivan Garcia

Hi Don
Welcome to OPF.
I hope you don't mind, I took the liberty of applying Don L. technique to your wonderful image to illustrate what it does.
Also, I messed a bit with colour saturation and levels.
I hope is of your liking.
Kind Regards
IGD
Donferguson1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Don Ferguson Jr.

Looks nice Ivan .I have to learn how to do the masks. I have PS3 with Grants Tools so I can do them.They are the same as PS. Grant just had the code to unlock masks that are deep in PSE3.

When I open my pic a tiff I had levels . So I duplicate it and flatten them . Then control J to make another background layer. Sharpen ,then click lmask layers . It makes a white box next to my pic.
What do I do after that step ? Thanks . The signature was cool.

JohanElzenga

Ivan Garcia said:
Hi Don
Welcome to OPF.
I hope you don't mind, I took the liberty of applying Don L. technique to your wonderful image to illustrate what it does.
Also, I messed a bit with colour saturation and levels.
I hope is of your liking.

Wiith all due respect, I think the image has a horrible magenta cast now. Are you sure that your monitor is calibrated correctly?

Don Ferguson Jr.

Now you want to conceal all of the the sharpened layer and just reveal selected areas ... is that right ??

If so then just click on the white mask and do Edit>Fill (choose black) and the whole layer will now be concealed. Set your foreground colour to white, select a soft paint brush and just paint on your image (in the areas you want to reveal) ... if you do a bit too much then switch to black and paint it out again.

Is this what you are talking about ? Thanks , Don

Nick Rains

pro member
Asher Kelman said:
I too like the frozen look of the water in fast shots. I don't know where this approach of slow shutter speed came from, but it seems to have taken over as the desired esthetic.

Now this picture is beautiful anyway!

Asher

It's less of an esthetic than a consequence, and possibly an expectation. Large format cameras, DOF requirements, slow films, overcast light, forest shade etc, thus slow shutter speeds.

I like the effect personally, but it would be interesting to try a double exposure on digital with a low asa/large DOF overall shot combined with a high asa/low DOF shot at a higher shutter speed. Use the frozen water from one with the DOF and sharpness of the other.

Just an idea, I've not tried it.

Asher Kelman

That, Nick, is the creative approach that I think makes design sense. Then one can have a blend according to one's own expressive needs.

I am glad you reminded us that where these blended blurred water shots came from. I needed reminding too!

Today, many photographers, with fast digital cameras, seem to think that this is some sort of standard that is to be expected from any photographer with an artistic capability.

Asher