• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Makkah, Before & After

shah hossain

I would like to call this,
"Makkah, Before & After". *

My grandfather used to tell me some stories about Makkah.
He told me When they reached (migrated) Makkah before 50 years, there were rocks, mountains, deserts and dryness everywhere.
But if you see Makkah today, you'll never be able to imagine how it really was!

kd3ath.jpg

Here in this pic, I tried to compose MY IMAGINATION towards Makkah's Past.
The Rocks represents as Makkah's harsh past and at the background still to be completed buildings represent as Makkah's Today or Future.

So, I call it "Before & After".

What do you think?????

Hope you'll like it

* Makkah is an Islamic State/City in Saudi Arabia

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
First just to orientate those with less knowledge of Geography, here's a helpful quote from Wikipeda:

Mecca (pronounced /ˈmɛkə/), also spelled Makkah (English: /ˈmækə/; Arabic: مكة‎ Makka and in full: Arabic: مكّة المكرمة‎ transliterated Makkah Al Mukarrammah [mækːæt ælmukarːamæ]) is the holiest meeting site in Islam, closely followed by Medina. The city is modern, cosmopolitan and while being closed to non-Muslims, is nonetheless ethnically diverse.[1][2][3]

Muslim tradition attributes the beginning of Mecca to Ishmael's descendants. In the 7th century, the Islamic prophet Muhammad proclaimed Islam in the city which was by then an important trading center. After 966, Mecca was led by local sharifs until 1924 when the Ottoman Empire collapsed and it came under the rule of the Saudis.[4] In its modern period, Mecca has seen tremendous expansion in size and infrastructure.

The modern day city is the capital of Saudi Arabia's Makkah Province, in the historic Hejaz region. With a population of 1.7 million (2008), the city is located 73 km (45 mi) inland from Jeddah in a narrow valley at a height of 277 m (910 ft) above sea level.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Note the clean format I have used. We don't center text, except the title and that is nice to put below the picture, as in a gallery. ADK

"I would like to call this, "Makkah, Before & After"

My grandfather used to tell me some stories about Makkah.
He told me When they reached (migrated) Makkah before 50 years, there were rocks, mountains, deserts and dryness everywhere. But if you see Makkah today, you'll never be able to imagine how it really was!"

kd3ath.jpg

Shah Hossain: "Makkah, Before & After"

Shah,

It's the best approach to photography to start with a picture n your mind as you have done. This works from the Wedding photographer, the Fashion Photographer or the Artist. One can work from other pictures one has already taken too. However, building a picture in the mind is praiseworthy. When one goes to get this into something one can present, the picture then gets to take its own life and one makes less and less changes. Here, you have in your mind your father's voice. That's a rich start. I'm going to write more a little later. I need to see other pictures you have made too. I like to view new work from the perspective of the artist and then in relationship to art I know. I will allow others to comment first and meanwhile i'll study this creative piece further.

Thanks for sharing!

Asher

shah hossain

Shah,

It's the best approach to photography to start with a picture n your mind as you have done. This works from the Wedding photographer, the Fashion Photographer or the Artist. One can work from other pictures one has already taken too. However, building a picture in the mind is praiseworthy. When one goes to get this into something one can present, the picture then gets to take its own life and one makes less and less changes. Here, you have in your mind your father's voice. That's a rich start. I'm going to write more a little later. I need to see other pictures you have made too. I like to view new work from the perspective of the artist and then in relationship to art I know. I will allow others to comment first and meanwhile i'll study this creative piece further.

Thanks for sharing!

Asher

Man. That was a great comment. I liked it so much but still waiting for others to comment. Thank you Asher.

But please know that i bought my first dslr camera nikon d5000 on jan 1st 2010. that's mean i m new photographer. so please, dont expect pro photos from me. but u lead me to one.

Michael Fontana

pro member
Welcome Shah

while I find your subject interesting: the border between culture and nature - the image itself doesn't says Mekka, untill someone knows the place - I wonder about the lights in the background - they look to me like to be distracting and artificial.

Apart from that you show a interesting potential.

shah hossain

Welcome Shah

while I find your subject interesting: the border between culture and nature - the image itself doesn't says Mekka, untill someone knows the place - I wonder about the lights in the background - they look to me like to be distracting and artificial.

Apart from that you show a interesting potential.

Micheal

Thank you so much for your comment and showing me the weak points of the pic.
after all nothing on earth comes complete.
i'll try my best to bring the best.

thanks

shah

Paul Abbott

I like this photo and how you've captured the scene. Nice one.
What will define your description of this place so much more will be to take more documentary images of it.
You could give yourself a project in this respect, I would like to see more of this place.

You could even come back here and shoot the same scene again after those buildings are complete, but with the buildings in sharp focus and the foreground out of focus.

Asher Kelman

Shah,

Don't count this post as my critique as it is not, it just is a prod to follow Paul's urging, (our Paul here, not the other one from the literature, LOL! The knights had their chances and lost!)

Continuing from Paul's advice, I'd write down a list of what you might want to cover in the progression from barren landscape towards modern city of the kind you now see blooming and overtaking one's memories.

What elements are needed to identify this as part of a sequence of events connected in some way to the holiest place in the world for Islam. What features can only be found here? Now what substance, material, object or idea, a motif, can be present in all the pictures which might, as a group, give the feelings and ideas you have in your mind when you remember you father's words and look out of the window at night at the growing skyline?

Think of a reasonable number, say 3-12 pictures, whatever you need to make your point. The ideas, is that others, look at the whole set of images, will get what you are feeling and talking about and they will bring others to experience that too.

Meanwhile, shoot cars, birds, shopkeepers and every day have one picture you like. That way, your skill as observing will improve.

Good luck,

Asher