• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Tethered or remote focus: adjusting as if in manual mode?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
With the Eos utility, for example, one can focus a lens by triggering the autofocus functions. However, with any still camera and any software, can one fine focus say by using + or - keys to optimize the focus obtained wth AF, as if one was holding the camera and doing this by hand?

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

The EOS utility also does this in remote live view shooting mode, did you take a look at it? It also provides dof preview, WB change and exposure controls.

As does Breeze Systems DSLR Capture Pro, which I use.

I especially like the ability to zoom in 10X for critical, remote-controlled, focusing.

Asher Kelman

The EOS utility also does this in remote live view shooting mode, did you take a look at it? It also provides dof preview, WB change and exposure controls.

Cem,

You are always one step ahead! I didn't see a fine focus with the Eos Utility, just the AF. What are the adjustment , fore and aft controls!

Thanks a million!

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

... I didn't see a fine focus with the Eos Utility, just the AF. What are the adjustment , fore and aft controls!
Hi Asher,

This is how the controls look like in real use. I have resized and clustered the individual windows in order to take the screenshot. Normally, the full view screen I use is much larger. HTH.

opf_eos_01.png

Cheers,

Asher Kelman

Cem,

This is going to save my neck in bending down over a table top and out over balconies and through high up sound booths to adjust fine focus. I have found that using live view and manual focus is such a great feature, that now that's how I'm shooting whenever I can.

This help of yours, adds that functionality to remote shooting and is so appreciated. Until recently, I just relied on the optical viewfinder but today, things are so much better using the live view, that I'll not go back!

Unfortunately, I have to take my Eos 5DII into the Canon Irvine repair depot as the contact pins are stuck in! Meanwhile, I have to use my 5D and my 1DII which don't have live view! I hope that I can still get good pictures in low light!

Thanks so much!

Asher