• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Olympus E-1 follow-on promised at PMA07

DPREVIEW is offline right now. But the link to the background on this is:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1022

An Olympus manager who was identified as the VP for DSLR development at Olympus Imaging gave a long interview to a Japanese language site. After Babelfishing, it sounded promising, but one regular member of the OlyDSLR forum provided a clean translation. The main points were:

The E-400 (very small form factor) is only available in Europe in 2006 for reasons of manufacturing volume, will be released in other geographies in 2007.

In-camera image stabilization is used in one of Olympus' point-and-shoots that shipped in 2006 and will be extended to some of the DSLRs. Another poster added the explanation that this is done by electronically shifting the image, rather than physically shifting the imager.

The E-1 followon that was a plastic model at Photokina will be announced at PMA2007, along with one or more other new models.

So in a few months, either Olympus will have a new DSLR VP or we'll see some interesting cameras.

scott

Last edited:

Colin Jago

and lenses

scott kirkpatrick said:
So in a few months, either Olympus will have a new DSLR VP or we'll see some interesting cameras.

scott

The translation you refer to also talks about them finally having understood that there is a market for small light lenses. The translator didn't know whether to translate the japanese into "pancake" or "thin" but the message was there.

Colin

Rob Riley

i picked up some inf on another forum the other day
the E400 is to be globally re-released as E3 or E4

the E1 is being trialled with a 10 Mp sensor
with a view to the future release of a camera to be known as E-P1
it will look like the mock up at Photokina

and from other sources:

there is also some wind about a 4/3 Panasonic with interchangeable lenses and an EVF

fully 5 lenses from Leica D, 2 of which we know about

something called 'thin glass' lenses from Olympus (your translation is fair)

and lastly, the rest of the Sigma's get there 4/3 mount this year

Riley

Kyle Nagel

Sounds interesting, Olympus has some nice lenses, I only hope they make some changes in following up with problems. Historically they are very slow with bug fixes and they seem to jump the gun sometimes and release cameras that still have minor problems that seem to go unresolved. I have a close friend that is a big Oly fan, he tells me he has a hard time finding very many accessories and peripherals, as well as those issues I've already mentioned. It would be nice if they could get a more significant piece of the market, but I think they would have to make quite a few changes before that could happen.

Kyle

Rob Riley

the Oly system for the mostpart isnt all that compatible with other formats
this fact and their scary price list has a tendency to make most people hope that changes, or wish they were shooting something else.

Recently however, there seems to be a release from the pricing scheme, and their cameras, lenses, and peripheral equipment like flash seem to be a lot cheaper and a lot more plentiful. This is a welcome respite. As an example I just grabbed a desperately needed 11-22mm wide for $612, that out here would have cost another 40% more just a year ago. And I notice FL50 flash and E330 bodies at much more competitive rates and other stuff all over the place on ebay.

That said, after 2 very tough years for Oly were they made a loss, last quarter sales were 60% or so more than expected. But they really need to pull a rabbit out of a hat with 4/3 to get back into the game, I guess PMA isnt so long to wait and see what materializes. I am almost happy with the 4/3 range but more diversity within the format really might make it shine.

4/3 rangefinder anyone ?

Riley

Rob Riley

in the news article quoted in the link
Nikkei, of January 25 2007, in which President Kikukawa in the morning edition.

On verifying this I read that the president also claimed to be hunting #2 spot in dSLRs stated in the last year.
He said they are not after volume but proffits
not 1 but 3 cameras are discussed
the E400 for global release
the Pro E1 suspected to be E-P1
and either a replacement or reworked E330

The newspaper, Nikkei, Jan 25/2007 says;

- Oly’s revenue exceeds one trillion yen (or US$8.3 billion) for the first time in this fiscal year closing at the end of March.
- Recovery of digital camera business contributes to this record high profit performance.
- On the other hand, in the medical equipment businesses where Olympus has so far enjoyed stable profitability, Olympus will face with much more immense competition from the new emerging merger, Hoya and Pentax.

So Nikkei interviewed Oly’s CEO about their growth stragety.

Nikkei: It looks like imaging division (digital camera division) is in good shape?

CEO: During the past year all manufacturers have seemingly lowered the inventory level of compact digicams and this reduced the burden of the price lowering competition. On top of this we could get benefits of internal cost reduction activities and the currency depreciation against other major currencies.

Niikei: How long do you expect the booming of dSLR markets will continue?

CEO: We donot anticipate that the price levels of compact digicams will largely further go down. Of course, features such as Mp size will improve, while the price would not go up largely, it means actual price-down (to manufacturers). So in terms of monetary value, the increase of revenues from compact digicams will, I’m afraid, slow down. On the other hand we can expect two-digit percentage growth for dSLR markets so we will focus on these markets.  [*]

For Christmas sales season, we suffered from shortage of assembly parts for dSLR’s and were forced to revise our sales target for this fiscal year from 400K to 250K units. For the coming spring sales season, we will introduce 3 new models and aim at 500K units in the next fiscal year. We are determined to become a significant player in this market like the Big 2.

Nikkei: Hoya and Pentax merge…

CEO: We are competing agains Pentax in both imaging and medical equipment businesses. The merger will give more competitive powers to Pentax but we will continuously and aggressively pour sufficient cash flows into R&D. In this sense we won’t change our strategies in a massive way.

then in this report on the newspaper article

http://www.camera-info.net/cic_report/news_070125.html

(and apologies its a google translation but you get the general drift of it)

Olympus, the digital single-lens reflex new product 3 type this spring to throwing

Olympus it became clear to be the plan that even this spring it throws the new product 3 type of digital single-lens reflex camera. As for this being something which President Kikukawa of the same company expresses in interview of the Nihon Keizai Shimbun Inc., according to the same paper January 25 date morning edition, as for Olympus you say that the shipment quantity of digital single-lens reflex 250,000 unit of the present term (the prospect) from next period it is the plan that it increases to 500,000, with throwing the new product.

Olympus the September last year, announces “Olympus E system” declaration, becomes the flagship machine as development “of the E-1” successor aircraft is announced, the policy of being complete body line-up, the lens and the accessory to a greater extent had been shown. The flagship machine which becomes the E-1 successor aircraft even this spring as the new product where throwing is expected, “E-400” of the small-sized light weight which which is preceding selling in the foreign country (or the revised edition), you can list the E-330 successor aircraft and the like.

Riley

Kyle Nagel

Olympus, like most of the underdogs, has a decent cult following that has allowed them to keep going. With time a good decisions they may be able to claim some more market share. Right now however I think Pentax is in the best position to compete directly with Canon and Nikon in the near future. With Pentax's partnership with Samsung, their merger with Hoya, and the release of the K10D (as well as the upcoming release of their Medium Format digital), they have positioned themselves well to make a comeback. However, it is imperative that they continue moving forward with major advancements and releases, like they have this last year, in order to compete with the "big boys", if they however try to ride for too long on the success of a single camera they will not be able to compete on the same level as Canon and Nikon.

Kyle

Rob Riley

Kyle while that is largely true there are nuances
Olympus is a niche player, the APS C crowd do not see them as competition, hence Oly has to innovate, probably more than anyone else. Olympus on its own never quite cut it back in 35mm days either, despite wonderful cameras like the OM4 Ti. I would contend that while they couldnt make an impact alone, they have a far better chance within a group. Add the benefits of technology sharing, extended system options and they will cut out a better than reasonable profit, and a goodly market share.

Meanwhile the big boys have decided to compete in dSLRs on price, however much money you have they offer a model. This might be because they are used to competing with one another, using strata priced marketing. But the new entry manufacturers arnt playing that game as their cameras are well equipped and logically featured, they didnt cut out spot metering etc to meet a price point

The entry of Pentax, Samsung, Fuji and the Sony takeover will all affect Nikon/Canon more than they will Olympus. They will cost on existing APS C merchants because they are logical competitors. The shorter listed new entry crowd wont compete with de-featured bodies, much like japanese imported cars in the 70's that will enable them to make ground.

This will mostly adversely affect Canon and Nikon sales, of whom Nikon are in the most vulnerable position. Nikon are far less diverse than any other, and they depend on sensors from what is now a prime competitor. Nikon have little else in manufacturing to lean on.

A year from now, 4/3 will be a bigger system, with a wider choice of bodies and glass, more diverse system equipment that will be more attractive to new and existing buyers. They will be able to compete on the mere volume of the system that others cant access. The likes of Panasonic and Leica will add colour and interest giving the range more depth.

It s worth noting that while dSLRs are only 11% of volume, they make up 30% of the balance sheet, such is the value of system accessories, mostly to be derived from Olympus. That portion is set to rise as the P&S end tops out, and dSLR sales increase in proportion. Its been a huge gamble for Olympus, and we are about to see if it pays off.

Riley

Rob Riley

the plot thickens

http://www.4-3system.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=125&forum=7

posted on 4-3 forum, synopsis of an Olympus dealer event

E-410 - Modified E-400 will have live view.
E-510 - With live view and in body IS.
E-P1 or E-3 - Pro model, IS, weather sealed, live view, 5fps+, buffer, 12 point AF.

14-35 f2.0 pro lens
12-60 f3.5 cheaper to 11-22
180-500 f5.0-6.3

there should be 3 other lenses too

seems the strategy is for three stratas of dSLRs, Pro, amateur, lightweight (my words not theirs)
so there will always be 3 dSLRs. Same goes for glass.

I'm beginning to think Oly enjoy confusing everyone and secrecy, but this seems as close to it as we are going to get for awhile.

Riley