• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Fujifilm S5 Pro... thoughts?

Jason C Doss

Here's the initial press release and the Photokina show report, mostly photos, as reported by DPReview.com.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06092502fujifilms5pro.asp
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/photokina2006/Fujifilm/

I am giving this camera serious consideration, even though it is "only" a six megapixel camera. I am a Canon 20D user, and have always secretly coveted the ergonomics of Nikon DSLRs. More recently, the Nikon DSLRs seem to be more feature-rich than Canons. However, I've never been impressed with Nikon's image quality. I read somewhere that Nikon made better cameras, but Canon made better sensors, and I think there's a lot of truth in that.

Now there is a better sensor available in what I perceive to be the best Nikon body on the market (the D200)! I am seriously thinking of switching formats for this camera.

I am aware of the "6+6 megapixel" format of the sensor, however information contained in the post below is leading me to believe that real 12mp resolution may actually be possible from this sensor.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1020&message=20183317

What do you think? What do you Fuji S3 users think of the new camera? Am I crazy for thinking about switching away from Canon?

Tony Panzica

The company is shrinking by the minute, I know I used to work there. Fuji is nothing what it was 10 years ago. They have lost market share, personnal, dealers, etc. Your crazy to spend any money on a single Fuji product. I am not a disgruntled ex employee, Its been almost 10 years since I worked there, hell everyone I knew is not the anymore. Fuji and Kodak are clueless about the world of photography. Their camera's may be good nitch products, but good luck getting any kind of support. If you have Canon, stay the course. Good luck!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Tony Panzica said:
Fuji and Kodak are clueless about the world of photography. Their camera's may be good nitch products, but good luck getting any kind of support. If you have Canon, stay the course. Good luck!

Hi Tony,

What may surprise some people is the amazing power of Kodak in the USA digicam market. They are either #1 or close to it!

The Kodak and HP digicams are technically advanced with something like digic II of Canon but from Texas Instruments which deals with, among other things, local contrast, locoregional dynamic range and making highlights not blow so much and shadows visible.

Fuji is a massive corporation and if the camera are slow, it wouldn't matter, AFAIK.

I'd not write off Fuji! They've the respurces to surprise you!A lot of new technology will appear in non-Canon, non-Nikon non-DSLR cameras first from now on because of the market sizes which can accomodate new technology easily.

Another company to watch is Sigma. The new Foveon will be shown in the next days in New York.

Asher

Jason C Doss

Tony Panzica said:
The company is shrinking by the minute, I know I used to work there. Fuji is nothing what it was 10 years ago. They have lost market share, personnal, dealers, etc. Your crazy to spend any money on a single Fuji product. I am not a disgruntled ex employee, Its been almost 10 years since I worked there, hell everyone I knew is not the anymore. Fuji and Kodak are clueless about the world of photography. Their camera's may be good nitch products, but good luck getting any kind of support. If you have Canon, stay the course. Good luck!

You didn't give me any facts, Tony... just an anti-Fuji diatribe.

[EDIT] I guess, instead of just being combative, I could point out that since the release of Silkypix 3.0, many on the DPR Fuji SLR talk forum have offered up RAW conversions from S3 files that really aren't very impressive resolution-wise. Although this does not mean that the S5 will not be capable of better >6MP output, it does make me think it's less likely to happen.

Last edited: