• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Sold my camera - Do I get a 50D or a T1 now?

Cem_Usakligil

I just sold my camera and I can afford the T1 and the 50D will be a stretch. Which one should I get and why? I am so excited!
Hi Wayne,

This is the kind of question which can generate quite a heated discussion in some other fora ;-). But here we try to provide the best advice we can give. In this case, we'd need to know a bit more. For example, which lenses do you still own? What type of photography is your main interest? What will be the end destination of your images (e.g. personal use or exhibition or publishing, etc)? Why are you considering T1 vs 50D? If you can provide some more info, I am sure we can help you in the best possible way. :)

Cheers,

Wayne Stratton

Hi Wayne,

This is the kind of question which can generate quite a heated discussion in some other fora ;-). But here we try to provide the best advice we can give. In this case, we'd need to know a bit more. For example, which lenses do you still own? What type of photography is your main interest? What will be the end destination of your images (e.g. personal use or exhibition or publishing, etc)? Why are you considering T1 vs 50D? If you can provide some more info, I am sure we can help you in the best possible way. :)

Cheers,

Thank you Cem. I am a beginner when compared to the quality of photos submitted on this forum. I like taking pictures of everything and it will be for personal use. I am considering the T1 because of its price and because I need LIVE VIEW, as I have a very hard time seeing clearly thru the eyepiece. I still own a Canon 55-250 IS lens and a Tamron 18-250. To add to this I also see that the T2 is coming out in March. I dont understand why the 50D is so much higher (looking at my local Best Buy) then the T1.

Wayne Stratton

Look at used, Wayne, as well.

One of my many downfalls is patience or the lack thereof. As soon as I sold my camera yesterday I went and bought a new one.

Hi Wayne,
Rachel has some very wise advice.
You may (will) find you are able to purchase a higher-end used model.
One of the most reputable used camera dealers is KEH: http://www.keh.com/

You might think about giving them a browse. It doesn't cost anything to look!

I have a 45 window to return/exchange my camera, I looked at that sight and was please to see that I got a brand new T1i for $50 less then a new one. I do thank you for the link, I am saving it for future accessory purchases.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
With Canon or Nikon cameras, it's the lenses that one should invest in not the cameras which devalue each year as there are always new one's coming down the pike. Lenses hold their value very well. So I'd sell off any lens toy don't really use and instead get the best lens for your purpose Likely, the best lens for starters might be the 50 1.4, the 35mm f2.0 or the 85mm 1.8. Just one les is all that is needed at first. I'd highly recommend looking at 24-105mm L zoom as it's really all you might need for a long time. Next body you get should be used. Photographers sell last year's body with a much as another 10 years life on it. for about 50% off or more.

So think of used DSLR's in the future. For example the 5D mark one!

Asher

Asher Kelman

.....I am considering the T1 because of its price and because I need LIVE VIEW, as I have a very hard time seeing clearly thru the eyepiece.

Wayne,

That means you might also consider using live view with manual focus?

Would you also be using a tripod?

I ask because, you have lenses that cover close to the same longest focal lengths.

I still own a Canon 55-250 IS lens and a Tamron 18-250. To add to this I also see that the T2 is coming out in March. I dont understand why the 50D is so much higher (looking at my local Best Buy) then the T1.

Forget about these minor differences. You are going to get a lot of capabilities you simply don't need. Any Rebel is a perfectly good camera even if you got one from several years ago used. The lenses you have overlap. I'd sell one of them, likely the 18-250 and get yourself a 24-105 L lens that will be your workhorse for some time to come. You can focus is manually too. In fact, you could sell of both your current lenses and likely you'd be happy and travel lighter.

Getting a used camera on OPF or another place you might trust would save you money for a better lens. The best general rule is that one gets the simplest camera one needs right now and the best lens one can afford. As new opportunities come knocking and your skills improve, upgrade your camera. Don't make the mistake of buying an advanced camera unless you are ready for it and really have the spare cash after getting that one great lens. After all, next year that fancy DSLR will be the old model that you wouldn't look at twice.

If you want some real fin and a magnificent lens, get a 50mm Macro. It's superior optically and great for portraits, landscapes as well as, of course macros.

Asher

Asher Kelman

.....I am considering the T1 because of its price and because I need LIVE VIEW, as I have a very hard time seeing clearly thru the eyepiece.

Wayne,

Would you also be using a tripod? You have lenses that cover close to the same longest focal lengths.

I still own a Canon 55-250 IS lens and a Tamron 18-250. To add to this I also see that the T2 is coming out in March. I dont understand why the 50D is so much higher (looking at my local Best Buy) then the T1.

Forget about these minor differences. You are going to get a lot of capabilities you simply don't need. Any Rebel is a perfectly good camera even if you got one from several years ago used. The lenses you have overlap. I'd sell one of them, likely the 18-250 and get yourself a 24-105 L lens that will be your workhorse for some time to come. You can focus is manually too. In fact, you could sell of both your current lenses and likely you'd be happy and travel lighter.

Getting a used camera on OPF or another place you might trust would save you money for a better lens. The best general rule is that one gets the simplest camera one needs right now and the best lens one can afford. As new opportunities come knocking and your skills improve, upgrade your camera. Don't make the mistake of buying an advanced camera unless you are ready for it and really have the spare cash after getting that one great lens. After all, next year that fancy DSLR will be the old model that you wouldn't look at twice.

If you want some real fun and a magnificent lens, get a 50mm Macro. It's superior optically and great for portraits, landscapes as well as, of course macros.

Asher

Wayne Stratton

Hi, Asher,

That is, if manual focus isn't important.

A wondrous thing indeed.

Wayne,

Would you also be using a tripod? You have lenses that cover close to the same longest focal lengths.

If you want some real fun and a magnificent lens, get a 50mm Macro. It's superior optically and great for portraits, landscapes as well as, of course macros.

Asher

Thank you for the advice. I have now sold all of my lenses and started over. The T1 came with a kit 18-55 IS and because my son is going to start baseball in a few weeks I went with a 70-300 IS.

I would have bought the 24-105 L but with my son playing in the outfield, I need a stronger zoom. I will be saving my pennies and watching this forum for a used one !!! I found one on Amazon with an aperture of F4. Should I be looking for one with 2.8?

Thanks everyone for you help and advice!!!

Asher Kelman

Thank you for the advice. I have now sold all of my lenses and started over. The T1 came with a kit 18-55 IS and because my son is going to start baseball in a few weeks I went with a 70-300 IS.

I would have bought the 24-105 L but with my son playing in the outfield, I need a stronger zoom. I will be saving my pennies and watching this forum for a used one !!! I found one on Amazon with an aperture of F4. Should I be looking for one with 2.8?

Thanks everyone for you help and advice!!!
F2.8 with a digital rebel allows one to use the more accurate center cross focus point. However, if you have seeing issues as a lot of us have and you are using longer focal lengths, then you should consider a tripod and use live view. Get used to making compromises. Shooting at f5.6 might just be fine for you. The lens to get is the 70-200 f4.0 IS or, since you will use a tripod, the non-IS version. I have one and I can tell you that you will never regret getting this lens. You can use it AF or with manual assist too or just manual. Used it should be approx $500 +/- $100, I guess.

You'll get perfect pics with this lens on a tripod using 400 IS for you Camera setting. I happen to shoot Av or Manual. You might want to consider that even though you are shooting sports. Essentially, you need to control DOF and focus. Blurs are not bad. You'll gradually learn the min speeds you can use. Start at 1/150 second and don't worry about using f4.0

Avoid tiny apertures like f11 as that forces you to use lower shutter speeds (blurring the mage) or higher ISO, (adding noise). Try to keep the f stop between f4.0 and f8 at the smallest. When the folk are close, go from 4 to 5.6, otherwise you can use f 4.0 if you need the extra light.

When it's bright you can afford to go to f5.6 to 8.0.

Hope this helps,

Asher