• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Chinatown merchant

John Angulat

pro member
The crowd just passed him by. It was cold, and I hoped for a shot of customers poring over his offerings. The crooked, makeshift table, the scale hanging askew. The shot then seemed obvious - him watching and waiting for a sale that never came...

JA3x2284sm.jpg

Life In New York...from my wanderings

Charlotte Thompson

Ya know John

you have a way- and it always gets to me-

love the soft focus surroundings/gives a sense of movement into the future
I love the great focus on the food-
makes me want to buy and eat them!

you have such nice and easy adventures, I think-I am a frustrated photo journalist- I am!

Charlotte-

John Angulat

pro member
Thank you kindly Charlotte!
Yes, I do have nice adventures, most are easy, some difficult.
I've been chased, mugged, detained, threatened, and the list goes on.
But all in all, the street is always an adventure.
I do not think I shall ever tire of it.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The crowd just passed him by. It was cold, and I hoped for a shot of customers poring over his offerings. The crooked, makeshift table, the scale hanging askew. The shot then seemed obvious - him watching and waiting for a sale that never came...

JA3x2284sm.jpg

Life In New York...from my wanderings

The guy is is ready for sales and so many folk just go by. Reminds me of all the people we know with so much to offer that get passed by. This is a case for yelling and showing produce to passers by. But maybe he did that already and he's worn out or just thought ahead that he should just be patient!

One can't help but feel bad for him!

Asher

John Angulat

pro member
The guy is is ready for sales and so many folk just go by. Reminds me of all the people we know with so much to offer that get passed by. This is a case for yelling and showing produce to passers by. But maybe he did that already and he's worn out or just thought ahead that he should just be patient!

One can't help but feel bad for him!

Asher

So true Asher, I do feel sorry for the life of hard work many street merchants endure.
I do not know how any of them make enough money to survive.
Yet they're out there, day in and day out, from early morning to late in the evening.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
So true Asher, I do feel sorry for the life of hard work many street merchants endure. I do not know how any of them make enough money to survive. Yet they're out there, day in and day out, from early morning to late in the evening.

John,

Likely they have children who now go to college and the parents put all their resources into the family getting on the first rung of the ladder. They, themselves might be stuck but through the progress of the next generation they see change that happens much faster than in their homelands. That's been true of all the waves of immigrants. Of course, I just see an Asiatic face. We cannot parse much beyond that, maybe to Korean, Chinese or Vietnamese. I would imagine there's much more to know about this apparently stoic devotion to work, even being ignored in miserable times.

Asher

John Angulat

pro member
...I would imagine there's much more to know about this apparently stoic devotion to work, even being ignored in miserable times.

Asher

I agree wholeheartedly. While not deriding the average US populace, it seem most recent arrivals to this country carry a much stronger work ethic. Could it be our blessed life has made us soft?
Would any of us be willing to work from dawn to late night?

JJA_3445sm.jpg

Life in New York...from my wanderings

fahim mohammed

John, I am amazed at the everyday scenes that you capture for us to enjoy. Easily missed by most, but
preserved for history by your roaming the streets.

As to the vendor, I guess he is used to the ups and downs of his business...not maybe comfortable with the lack of customers, but this might be quiet day.

Regards.

John Angulat

pro member
John, I am amazed at the everyday scenes that you capture for us to enjoy. Easily missed by most, but preserved for history by your roaming the streets.
As to the vendor, I guess he is used to the ups and downs of his business...not maybe comfortable with the lack of customers, but this might be quiet day.

Regards.
Hi Fahim,
Thanks so much for the compliments, it's very much appreciated.
Most visitors (and natives, too) point their cameras at the most recognizable landmarks, all the while missing what's happening right before their eyes. I just have a great love for what's going on at street level. I only wish I could add the sounds and smells to my images!