• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: They take pictures, but

fahim mohammed

they never come back. we are an example of the forgotten children of the gods of Shangri-La and Davos..

p424218237.jpg

Regards.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
they never come back. we are an example of the forgotten children of the gods of Shangri-La and Davos..

p424218237.jpg

Regards.
Fahim,

Why do you say forgotten? The kids are well fed, dressed nicely but they have attitudes. They do appear to have some issues with either this day or the photographs being taken. But what's the source of them being "forgotten"? for sure if they would grow up in your home or mine, they might well become surgeons, lawyers or writers or happy-snappers. But are they forgotten?

Asher

fahim mohammed

Asher,

Maybe the choice of the word ' forgotten ' is inappropriate in this context. A significant number of kids in the region I visited appeared to be ' chubby' or ' well fed '; but I was told that they suffered from the effects of certain illness brought about by altitude. The ' attitude ' of the kids which you refer to, was
unfortunately how they appeared.

of course, no one is ' forgotten'..just that their presence is acknowledged.

' for sure if they would grow up in your home or mine, they might well become surgeons, lawyers or writers or happy-snappers.'....; but they are not in your house or mine and I see remote probability
of them becoming ' surgeons, lawyers, writers or happy-snappers'. Of course, they could, but what is
the statistical probability. That is what I am alluding to.

You have been to Africa, in a country which is oil-rich..see the issues there. I am talking about a poor land-locked country without any natural resources and just coming out of a political nightmare.
Of course, one could say the term ' poor' is relative.

Regards.

Fahim,

Why do you say forgotten? The kids are well fed, dressed nicely but they have attitudes. They do appear to have some issues with either this day or the photographs being taken. But what's the source of them being "forgotten"? for sure if they would grow up in your home or mine, they might well become surgeons, lawyers or writers or happy-snappers. But are they forgotten?

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Fahim,

In the west at least, and way far down from the elevation of these folk, we collect material things, boast about our insight and rush around at high speed even folk talking on the phone crossing the road through traffic, their precious kids in tow but in a separate world.

So, yes, our suits come from finer wool and we can sleep on Egyptian cotton with more threads per mm and snap images through $1000 glass; but do our children get happier than these kids? Is our life any better at the end of the day? I'm not sure it is. I'm not pretending that they don't have a disaster from just stepping on a nail, getting infected for something that would be taken care of in one hour in a major medical center but there might be the cause of death. Still, we pay a high price in the lowlands, driving everywhere at high speed and poisoning the air and rivers with our industrial and human waste. I have no illusions about the native, aboriginal or tribal nomads lives being somehow innocent and romantic. It's the opposite, hard and unforgiving in many ways. However, aren't the human values, the love in a family, the devotion between friends, the rewards for hard work the same but obtained at a much lower cost?

So, of course, there is low chance of any substantial education for these kids but will they be less happy?

Asher

fahim mohammed

Human values seem more and more determined by the ' haves ' rather than the ' have nots '. Happiness means different things to different people. A child might be happy with having a rubber duck, whereas Halliburton might desire the oil fields of the Middle East to make its shareholders happy.

Do you mean to imply, Asher, that just because these kids seem happy, that we not provide them
with the benefit of modern medicine or education? That we not, at least ,attempt to provide them with the means to better their living conditions? Of course, as friends and well wishers rather than as masters. A very important difference, imho.

Just as you Asher had the good fortune and the necessary skills to emigrate to the US ( apologies if I am wrong ), should not all children everywhere have the opportunity to acquire the requisite skills to improve their standard of living? Maybe migrate to the UK, as a Gurkha soldier? And with a dream that having put his life on the line for the Empire, he might be granted permission to stay in the UK and avail of the excellent social benefits which UK citizens are justifiably proud of?

Or do you wish children everywhere to remain where they are if they 'seem happy enough' and not
disturb the tranquility, or subject the Western society and culture to upheavel, by denying them the gift of modern education, medicine, economics, and yes..thinking.

We have a lot in common Asher, but we also have our unique and differing perspectives on a lot of other issues. That is for the good as I would tire of world where all were in agreement about everything. Keeping regard for normal courtesy and respect, of course.

Let's visit this place together Asher, so we can better understand where we both agree and disagree.

Regards.