• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Nikon Autofocus

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
It's worse, Jason!

Take the wonderful Canon Rebel XTi, it cannot use its accurate central focus sensor with any aperture tighter than f2.8!

Imagine who got together round a table and plotted that?

They probably said, well we can remove this function in the firmware, so let's do it!

Asher

Last edited:

Joel Schochet

Jason,

When asking about Nikon autofocus, you unfortunately have to divide the question in two:
1) How quickly does it focus with AF-S lenses; and
2) How quickly does it focus with lenses utilizing the physical contact, i.e., where the camera rotates a pin in the lens mount?

With AF-S lenses, the D200 focuses very quickly, as quickly as any other. It's ability to track moving subjects is very good, but not as good the D2x. (I have both.)

With non-AF-S lenses, the D200 focuses more quickly than any Nikon other than the "pro series," e.g., D2x, D2hs, etc. If you are shooting something other than sports or birds or the like, it's fine. But AF-S, like Canon's USM, is superb.

In response to your specific question, Nikons supposedly do not autofocus with maximum apertures smaller than f/5.6; but I have both the D2x and D200 focus when the maximum was smaller when I've used AF-S lenses. The focusing is uneven, however, and you can count on continuous focusing only with lenses that have a maximum aperture of f/5.6 or larger. That is my experience, YMMV.

The Fuji S3 body had all sorts of issues that I'm sure kept many people away, such as the batteries used, the slow focus, the very low shutter speed at which the flash would sync. The S5 promises to be so much better if it makes use of all of the D200's advantages. Still, it uses the same sensor as the S3 which, although very good, probably does not have the advantage over other sensors that it once had. Both Nikon and Canon sensors have gotten better.

Best bet to see for yourself is to go a store, bring an f/4 lens and teleconverter and see how it does. BTW, I think only the Canon 1D series (including the 1DsMkII) claim to autofocus with lens having a maximum aperture of f/8.

I hope this is of some help; and welcome to the forum!

Joel

Jason C Doss

I'm "JCDoss" on DPR, and thanks for the welcome!

I am pretty much sold on Sigma's EX line and own a bunch of EX lenses with HSM. I wonder if there's a difference between Canon-mount HSM and Nikon-mount HSM?

Thanks for the info, Joel!

Dawnne Gee

Jason C Doss said:
I'm "JCDoss" on DPR, and thanks for the welcome!

I am pretty much sold on Sigma's EX line and own a bunch of EX lenses with HSM. I wonder if there's a difference between Canon-mount HSM and Nikon-mount HSM?

Thanks for the info, Joel!

At the risk of derailing (if you have the power, please feel free to throw this message to a more appropriate place).....

How do the Sigma DC's compare to the EX's? I have a couple of DC's that have basically become paperweights due to the spectacular degree of vignetting.

Norman Hom

Asher Kelman said:
Take the wonderful Canon Rebel XTi, it cannot use its accurate central focus sensor with any aperture tighter than f2.8!

asher, that's not entirely correct. the center AF sensor still works with smaller aperture lenses...it's just that it becomes a cross-type sensor when a f2.8 or faster lens is mounted.

for the OP, the nikon AF will attempt to focus with max apertures smaller than f5.6 but it is probably hit-or-miss (probably more misses than hits). canons don't even try.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Norman,

Yes it is the cross sensor that's more accurate. Thanks for the clarification! That is what I meant!

Glad you caught it!

Asher

Norman Hom said:
asher, that's not entirely correct. the center AF sensor still works with smaller aperture lenses...it's just that it becomes a cross-type sensor when a f2.8 or faster lens is mounted.
This is also incorrect from my understanding of the Canon literature. The 350D/XT has a cross type center autofocus point. Cross type sensors are more accurate as the cross type sensor detects contrast* in two directions which is totally separate from the precision of the sensor.

The 400D/XTi has a more precise center autofocus point at f/2.8 or wider that focusses within 1/3 of a DoF of variation rather than within a variation of the DoF.

Please note that accuracy and precision do not mean the same thing. The more precise sensor could very precisely front focus a lens time and again. But the focus would still be inaccurate.

enjoy,

Sean (who could be wrong but does think so)

* If my understanding is correct, modern autofocus sensors use oriented phased detection rather than contrast detection but this does not make the above comments any clearer.

Last edited:

Steve Saunders

The D200 is a great camera, it's almost as good as the D2X ( have both) and the only real difference is that the D2X focusing is slightly faster. The Canon Rebel XTi isn't in the same league, though it does give cleaner high-ISO images. D200 seems to be built more sturdy, flash results are very accurate.