• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Red-Tailed Hawk

Steve Robinson

Finally caught up with this red-tailed hawk who's been eluding me for weeks. Shot today with a 1D2N and rented EF 400mm f/5.6L. Adjusted for lighting in LR3 Beta but sharpening left at default. As always C&C is welcome and appreciated.

790813620_EyiCZ-L.jpg

Steve Robinson - Red-Tailed Hawk Getting Ready To Split

790813721_QswqW-L.jpg

Steve Robinson - Red-Tailed Hawk Taking Off

790813750_KXDcZ-L.jpg

Steve Robinson - Red-Tailed Hawk Inflight

Finally caught up with this red-tailed hawk who's been eluding me for weeks. Shot today with a 1D2N and rented EF 400mm f/5.6L. Adjusted for lighting in LR3 Beta but sharpening left at default. As always C&C is welcome and appreciated.

Hi Steve,

Great catch! I'm always impressed by the talons of they birds of prey, but also by their beautiful colors.

The images do look a bit dull on my screen, the histogram doesn't show any highlight detail. Maybe you can pull in the whitepoint control untill clipping starts and then back up a notch. The resulting increase in contrast will also boost the beautiful colors and apparent sharpness.

Cheers,
Bart

Nice shots, Steve.

The first 2 are hampered by the absence of light on its head, as well as the artificial aspects of the scene, but the 3rd has real potential.

I agree with Bart that the tonality can be further adjusted to bring out the best of this photo. It seems a bit 'flat' from whatever adjustments were made in Lightroom, but I bet it has more in it than this version reveals.