• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Another Image For Comment

Matt Halstead

Hi guys,

Just finished this shot. It's from my personal collection. I know people on this forum have often suggested that I provide more of an explanation behind my images so here it is:

The model is my dad. Whilst visiting my parents over Christmas I was itching to have a play with a new Prime lens I'd just purchased. So, short of a model i asked my pops to stand in. Unfortunately my father wasn't in the mood for the shoot, preferring to work on his soduku. Needless to say he was irritated with my prancing around with the camera, but ultimatelly he relented and i started shooting.

For my personal work i have a preference for darker, more sinister images and that is why i deliberatly processed the image in the way I have done.

4373467796_f5c6eaae8b_b.jpg

Below is an interesting crop to the shot which I also like:

4374954797_368c067f2f_b.jpg

Any comments as ever, more than welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Matt,

It's tough having family reluctantly help with one's work or listen to one's story they thnk they've heard before. You have conveyed this dark reluctance to tolerate your photography. There's almost a cynical attitude. I cannot but help be impressed, but in succeeding, you might also be defining your father, by this one picture, as being more negative in general to other folk.

Asher

Rachel Foster

Love the shot; I think the first works better than the closer crop.

I also think he looks like someone I'd enjoy talking to; there's a "no bs" air about him that seems to be covering a barely concealed wry amusement.

Ruben Alfu

Hello Matt, I like this portrait very much, especially the vertical composition.

When I wrote this comment I was looking at a crappy monitor, and even so, what I was really thinking was "I'm speechless". Now, I'm looking again at this photo in a well calibrated Cinema Display (at least way better than the crappy model), in good viewing conditions, and I can confirm it: I'm speechless.

fahim mohammed

The cropped picture of a splendid photograph is more to my liking. There is an immediate connect with
the person thru the eyes. Slowly I went around the whole framed.

Excellent photograph.

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Matt,
My apologies for being tardy to this post.
Splendid image!
Although you made mention of a leaning towards "darker, more sinister images" I never really felt that when viewing previous posts of yours.
Yes, you do have a unique style or approach to the processing, however I believe it works quite well.
This image is another fine example.
I'm imagining this would look extraordinary in print!

Matt Halstead

Matt,

It's tough having family reluctantly help with one's work or listen to one's story they thnk they've heard before. You have conveyed this dark reluctance to tolerate your photography. There's almost a cynical attitude. I cannot but help be impressed, but in succeeding, you might also be defining your father, by this one picture, as being more negative in general to other folk.

Asher

Hi Asher, with regard your last point, I appreciate you comment however when exhibiting this work it would not be disclosed who the subject matter is. Secondly, when I showed my father the image he liked it, and thought it was a good representation of his grumpier side. In that respect I don't think he minds what impressions other people develo from the image.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Asher, with regard your last point, I appreciate you comment however when exhibiting this work it would not be disclosed who the subject matter is. Secondly, when I showed my father the image he liked it, and thought it was a good representation of his grumpier side. In that respect I don't think he minds what impressions other people develo from the image.

Still, Matt, it's so interesting for me to see the reluctant relative roped in for photography. That was my wife's resentment about photography. She had to sit for hours as the model for her father's fascination with his 8x10 Deardorf Film Camera. Your Dad's expression reminds me of exactly the feeling I experience what when trying to get relatives to cooperate!

Asher

Matt Halstead

Still, Matt, it's so interesting for me to see the reluctant relative roped in for photography. That was my wife's resentment about photography. She had to sit for hours as the model for her father's fascination with his 8x10 Deardorf Film Camera. Your Dad's expression reminds me of exactly the feeling I experience what when trying to get relatives to cooperate!

Asher

I sympathise for your wife, however the 8x10 Deardorf Film Camera must have been a wonderful piece of kit! My father's look of disdain is all play, in some images he was trying not to laugh! I can assure you that if he didn't want to sit then he wouldn't!