• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Hello there

John Joannides

I've been lurking here for a while and have enjoyed a number of threads on the forum. I was sucked in by the "Arc of Communication" thread in the Layback cafe forum and by Colin Jago who indirectly first alerted me to these new forums. I try to read every day.

Frankly, I'm a little tired of the "Nice shot! Good use of available light! Great use of colour!" forums I have grown accustomed to (not including the Still project site which I post to which is far from trivial) and am looking for something a little different from the norm.

As for me, I'm pretty new to the notion of taking photography seriously. I've been doing it forever, but it's never really been an overly conscious process. A year or so, perhaps, is the length of time that I have been thinking hard about it, both in words and in images. Liking or disliking an image is easy I think. Explaining to yourself and to others the reasons why your reaction is what it is is more demanding.

I have no training except via the way of experience which is not as extensive as I would like. Working elsewhere for a living gets in the way.

I have a curiosity about new equipment but am not a huge fan. Frankly I'd much rather read reviews of a random photographer's new image series than about Nikon's latest offering. This goes in waves however, and sometimes I get all excited about something or other. Usually expensive somethings.

I am not a purist in any sense of the word and am more than happy to mash photographs together with pure digital images if it takes me where I want to go*.

My first photographs were published in a commercial brochure last week, the results of an outdoor shoot at an elderly care home. Prior to that I have had some limited stock success, unpublished but used regularly in an educational presentation by the Zoological Society of London.

Glad to be here; this looks like an interesting initiative.

* Usually, I have no idea where I want to go. There's definitely a remoteness between my conscious and subconscious self. Sometimes they talk, sometimes not so much.