• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Purple Gallinule.........From my last boat trip.

Eric Diller

Located this Purple Gallinule on a little floating Island 20 feet off the shore. These were taken the same trip from my Snail Kite posting 2 weeks back;

He didn't seem to mind us.............
These were taken while laying on my stomach at the front of the Bass Boat i was in. Takes a little practice battling wakes from other boats.
200-400mm F4 Nikkor lens with a 1.4X t.c.

ISO 400
Shutter 1/1250
Aperture 6.3
Manual Mode

PIC_4915-1.jpg

PIC_4930-1.jpg

PIC_4962-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Located this Purple Gallinule on a little floating Island 20 feet off the shore. These were taken the same trip from my Snail Kite posting 2 weeks back;

He didn't seem to mind us.............
These were taken while laying on my stomach at the front of the Bass Boat i was in. Takes a little practice battling wakes from other boats.

Hi Eric,

Impressive colors, and still a good camouflage (except for the bill).
I found some more video/photos of the species.

Thanks for sharing.
Bart

We seem to have similar 'taste' in birds, Eric - yet another of my favorites. The colors on these birds, including the iridescence in the sun, is a joy to see in real life, and they are well captured here.

Shooting from a boat is definitely challenging, and you've done quite well for yourself; I especially like the low angle.