• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Old Guy

Saw this old guy at the market yesterday.Couldn't resist a couple shots.

DSCN1359_2.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Saw this old guy at the market yesterday.Couldn't resist a couple shots.

DSCN1359_2.jpg

Michael,

Yes, this is a fine looking gentleman. At least we assume that. The picture gives that sense that he's a little worn out and used to waiting. He's a great subject for a portrait and presumably one has time to really shoot a series so as to get things right. My reaction is that if this is a family pet, then it's fine, as is. After all the memories swamp any technical defects.

Here, however, we are left with glaring questions. Why are there areas that have so much light that there's no detail? So the next question is this. did you shoot in RAW? That's the first thing to correct as one can recover the highlights. If this is film, then my criticism is perhaps too harsh, but it does make us think of bracketing the exposure.

Finally I'd draw attention to the colors. The dog is a natural beauty. However, the red of the car and silver of the ? mirror makes the picture broken up and gives more importance to these items than the great subject here. This is the fault of humans using the color of blood and light reflecting off a lake to artificially get attention to their machines, merchandise and possessions. For this picture, the colors are destructive, in spite of the dogs beautiful color. I would suggest that you might consider a B&W version and I think you will be happy to see the dog is now the master of the picture.

Asher

It was taken with a Nikon Coolpix incapable of shooting raw.If you're referring to the white area above the dog's head it is the roof of a white car parked next to the truck.I have no idea what you mean by this:
Asher Kelman said:
However, the red of the car and silver of the ? mirror makes the picture broken up and gives more importance to these items than the great subject here. This is the fault of humans using the color of blood and light reflecting off a lake to artificially get attention to their machines, merchandise and possessions.

Here's the original before I touched it.I'm relatively new to digital and in all honesty am not very fond of it.Convenient?Yep.But it lacks.I'm sure I screwed it up but after all it's just a snapshot of a cool dog I saw.

DSCN1359.jpg

Asher Kelman

It was taken with a Nikon Coolpix incapable of shooting raw.[/JPG]

That's fine! It's a good camera and with care you can do anything with this.

If you're referring to the white area above the dog's head it is the roof of a white car parked next to the truck.
I was referring to the light areas on the dog's face but in the original all is fine!

but after all it's just a snapshot of a cool dog I saw.

DSCN1359.jpg

Michael K. Carberry One cool Guy!

Michael,

Exactly, this is one cool chap! good catch!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Michael,

I'm going to go through all your threads where you have deleted the images and see if we can do without them and that will be a simple solution.

Asher