• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Some fish

Ron Morse

This is a johanna pike cichlid. They are a voracious predator. She is 13 1/2 inches.

mg3113.jpg

mg3118.jpg

mg3129.jpg

For some reason unknown to me she never bothered these 3 inch giant danios.

mg3135.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

mg3135.jpg

Ron,

This I like, especially considering the explosive power of a voracious eater in an enclosed space that might be tripped at some unexpected moment. Perhaps she knows she can eat them later. for now, you keep her well fed. So it would be an advantage for her to keep her reserve food untouched and even perhaps they might multiply. This might be a not insignificant part of animal physiology to not to hunt their food supply out of existence. So when they keep seeing the same fish, they instinctively know not to destroy it.

I wonder whether or not such mechanisms exist. does the lion eat the last mating deer pair if there's other food?

Asher

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Ron,
These are breathtaking! The detail is so intriguing.
How were these lit, or maybe better said how were these illuminated?

Ron Morse

mg3135.jpg

Ron,

This I like, especially considering the explosive power of a voracious eater in an enclosed space that might be tripped at some unexpected moment. Perhaps she knows she can eat them later. for now, you keep her well fed. So it would be an advantage for her to keep her reserve food untouched and even perhaps they might multiply. This might be a not insignificant part of animal physiology to not to hunt their food supply out of existence. So when they keep seeing the same fish, they instinctively know not to destroy it.

I wonder whether or not such mechanisms exist. does the lion eat the last mating deer pair if there's other food?

Asher

Thanks Asher.

I think the reason she doesn't inhale them is because from the time she was little she has never had live food although that has never stopped others. I use the giant danios because they always seem to survive with this type of fish.

She gets large dried fish pellets. fresh shrimp, beef and turkey. She is a messy eater and the danios often shoot down within an inch of her mouth to get scraps where she could just inhale them but she ignores them even though she is a very aggressive fish.

Ron Morse

Hi Ron,
These are breathtaking! The detail is so intriguing.
How were these lit, or maybe better said how were these illuminated?

Thank you John.

Two 580EX in a home made aquarium softbox fired with PWs (pws that I just sold to get the new flex system that I am holding off on because I've heard of problems with them) above the aquarium.

fahim mohammed

Ron, these are magnificent photos. more so because of your skill in illuminating them so wonderfully.
As John mentioned, the details are superb.

As to the ' monster' I can only think of ' there are more things in heaven and earth...'

Excellent work Ron.

Regards.

Asher Kelman

I second what Fahim has said, these are clear, sharp and wonderfully exposed. It looks like your in there with 'em. :)

Paul and Fahim,

There's an additional set of features. Ron's definite compositions seem to reflect ideas of "Returning" "Passing by", "Exploring," "Leisure", " A patrol" and the like. It's as if they together cover human experience. By lighting and compositing well, Ron's work on fish differs distinctively from pictures of animals that merely show detail and identity. An example of such surgical presentation would be the fantastic illustrations of Audubon's, often dead, birds. Likenesses of birds, (even with them staged to appear to be doing things) represent much more of Audubon's skill in hunting them down, flair for drawing and coloring them but little life force that Ron's images seem to bring to me. Another contrast is that while Ron nurtures these creatures but gives them fanciful names, Audubon, on the other hand removed them from their safe anonymity, butchered them and presented his efforts as "works of beauty" for the fawning salons of Europe!

Asher

Last edited:

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Ron,
These are fabulous images! (I don't know how I've missed them so long...perhaps because I don't visit the pets area.) Your practice and experience sure shows here.

I've kept an aquarium (marine) for 23 years. When I first entered the hobby I was, typically, fanatical about every aspect. I took several runs at photographing my former "reef" tank way back when but failed miserably. So I appreciate what you've accomplished here.

Well done!

p.s. That's one healthy-looking cichlid! Clear fins, clear eyes, HUGE size!

Ron Morse

Paul and Fahim,

There's an additional set of features. Ron's definite compositions seem to reflect ideas of "Returning" "Passing by", "Exploring," "Leisure", " A patrol" and the like. It's as if they together cover human experience. By lighting and compositing well, Ron's work on fish differs distinctively from pictures of animals that merely show detail and identity. An example of such surgical presentation would be the fantastic illustrations of Audubon's, often dead, birds. Likenesses of birds, (even with them staged to appear to be doing things) represent much more of Audubon's skill in hunting them down, flair for drawing and coloring them but little life force that Ron's images seem to bring to me. Another contrast is that while Ron nurtures these creatures but gives them fanciful names, Audubon, on the other hand removed them from their safe anonymity, butchered them and presented his efforts as "works of beauty" for the fawning salons of Europe!

Asher

Sorry to be late getting back to everyone but I am having severe back problems again. I meet with a surgeon tomorrow. I can't take much more of this.

Thank you so much Asher. You actually make me blush reading this.

Ron Morse

Ron,
These are fabulous images! (I don't know how I've missed them so long...perhaps because I don't visit the pets area.) Your practice and experience sure shows here.

I've kept an aquarium (marine) for 23 years. When I first entered the hobby I was, typically, fanatical about every aspect. I took several runs at photographing my former "reef" tank way back when but failed miserably. So I appreciate what you've accomplished here.

Well done!

p.s. That's one healthy-looking cichlid! Clear fins, clear eyes, HUGE size!

Ken, as a fan of your work, your comments mean a lot to me. Thank you.

Asher Kelman

Sorry to be late getting back to everyone but I am having severe back problems again. I meet with a surgeon tomorrow. I can't take much more of this.

Thank you so much Asher. You actually make me blush reading this.

Ron,

You get well now! It's amazing what good a forced rest can do!

Asher

StuartRae

Hi Ron,

I hope it goes well. I can only sympathise with you.

Regards,

Stuart