• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A Cityscape...

Paul Abbott

lloydstree1of1700.jpg

paulyrichard Leadenhall, London '10

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Paul; Writing simply in terms of the content and composition, rather than post-processing....

I encounter this type of scene frequently and so it strums a familiar chord for me. What I've learned about these types of scenes is as follows.

All-in comps, such as this, generally don't work well. They results in a muddle. Generally, the architectural-tree-in-a-pot is a distraction and should be avoided unless extraordinary conditions present special opportunities.

POV is everything in these images. Here, you have four modernist buildings which, from a different perspective, could seem to be having a conversation, or at the very least have static gestures that suggest a conceptual relationship between them. But the darn tree is in the way of conveying this message to viewers, plus the tree doesn't really bring anything to the conceptual party, either.

THe next time you encounter such a scene take plenty of time before shooting it. Forget that they're buildings. Just look for opportunities in tonality, gesture, contrasts in surfaces and syles. In places like this time-of-day/time-of-year can make all the difference between a dull image and one in which light creates brief magic. Casual encounters are unlikely to reveal such opportunities. For example, I very intentionally waited for such a seasonal/sun angle opportunity for this image. Two days later all the leaves were gone from those little trees. I also waited for a perfect clear cobalt twilight for this image.

I suspect that there are some excellent opportunities in this location. If it's a place you can visit frequently I suggest doing what I often do. Bring a small p&s with you to scout locations at different times of the day and year, and in different types of weather, too! Use jpgs to see patterns and possibilities that look promising for capturing with a more careful and studied approach. I think you'll find that such research will pay good dividends.

Paul Abbott

I know and understand what your saying and I am aware of these things, Ken. But I firmly believe that this scene is not a muddle, I liked the form of the tree and its branches in relation to the buildings on either side. I like the starkness of the tree in contrast with the same buildings. I don't think there is much to get into a muddle about in this image.

What I saw and took here was what influences me a lot with the work of Lee Friedlander, i'm quite sure you know of his work. The images that came to my mind were from his series in the Grand Teton's and other singular images.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I must say that I enjoyed learning your views Ken. Also your linked image really show that you try to put that into your images yourself. Still, I wonder whether you might be overlooking the tree as a joiner of the monolith structures on each side. I immediately thought of a wedding ceremony with the tree the priest!

Maybe I'm just a romantic old fool!

Asher

Paul Abbott

Asher, I like how you view this image, and I agree. I see a lot more besides, too.
I know this area very well, I don't live that far from it, under a mile away, I guess. I have taken many pictures here, some incorporating the ideas and basic fundamentals Ken speaks about. With this image, I saw something different.

Ken Tanaka

pro member
... I liked the form of the tree and its branches in relation to the buildings on either side. I like the starkness of the tree in contrast with the same buildings. ...
In the final considerations, that's all that really matters, Paul. That you like the image and that it presents a facsimile of what your mind's eye saw at that moment is all that counts.

You solicited a "critique".

fahim mohammed

Paul; Writing simply in terms of the content and composition, rather than post-processing....

All-in comps, such as this, generally don't work well. They results in a muddle. Generally, the architectural-tree-in-a-pot is a distraction and should be avoided unless extraordinary conditions present special opportunities.

But the darn tree is in the way of conveying this message to viewers, plus the tree doesn't really bring anything to the conceptual party, either.

..... Bring a small p&s with you to scout locations at different times of the day and year, and in different types of weather, too! Use jpgs to see patterns and possibilities that look promising for capturing with a more careful and studied approach. I think you'll find that such research will pay good dividends.

Paul, in the context under discussion, Ken has given me very valuable advice, and is very succinct.

In the final considerations, that's all that really matters, Paul. That you like the image and that it presents a facsimile of what your mind's eye saw at that moment is all that counts.

You solicited a "critique".

I do agree with Ken. Also, I find that color would have been better in this particular instance.

Regards.