• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Welcome to my home...#1

fahim mohammed

I have had the honor and pleasure to bring to you all at OPF, some of our remembrances of our travels.
I have also tried to give you some glimpse of our culture, family and friends.

Invariably, the work I have presented cannot but reflect some of my beliefs, customs, traditions and biases.

You folks, at OPF, have given me generously of your time. More importantly your constant encouragement is the impetus for me to keep bringing some of the work that reflects how I view my
world, its regions, its people and culture.

I think it is time for me to share some of my world, the place I call home. My photographs might not reflect my emotional attachment or bring the same amount of passion that I feel about my country and my people. My photographs might fail me, but my heart will never.

So, please welcome to my home...

My country is composed vastly of sand and desert. Southern region is mountainous, green, scenic.
Big parts of the South, North, and East have for centuries been known for agriculture. It surprises folks
to learn that tulips from Tabuk are exported across the world.

The Western region consists of the Two Holiest Places of Islam. Makkah and Madina.

The Central Region, is the Najd. This is the hinterland of my country. The Qassim region, in the centre of Najd, has for time immemorial been an oasis and farming territory.

But basically we are desert people...we cannot forget it. It will not allow us. We shall never forget that
it is from there that we came and it is to it that we belong. Our customs, traditions and above all
our Religion and Faith reflect our connection to the desert.

Not far from where I live, in Riyadh, starts the desert area known as the ' empty quarter . for obvious
reasons.

p506363208.jpg

No photographs, no movie sets and tales can prepare one for the harsness, the emptiness, vastness,
dryness and inhospitablity of the desert. From there are the legends born of Arab bravery, courage,
generosity, the meaning of what it is to call someone a ' friend'.

For thousands of Kilometers the desert is waiting. As it has for tens of thousands of years after the
seas receded. Waiting and giving birth to the sons/daughters of its soil..we are the inheritors.

p86059526.jpg

The Noble Palm Tree and the Nobel Camel have given provided us with food, shelter, transportation
and from them have generations learned about the value of sharing.
The Date Palm is a Proud part of our National Emblem. Both the Palm and the Camel are mentioned
in The Koran and the sayings of our Prophet Mohammed ( PBUH ).

p478709306.jpg

Living in such an environment it was imperative to help know and help one another. While genealogy
is big business in parts of the globe..here it is inborn out of necessity.

Within this hard, very very hard environment our forefathers and their forefathers were born. We were
born. They died in this place; as shall we. But they left to us their values..never to perish. They also
left something we cherish, take pride in and shall never, ever forget....

Respect...respect for our elders, our family, neighbours and all living things.

I had mentioned, sometime in another thread, that the our elders always have and always shall hold
the place of honor for us. They demonstrated strength in adversity. They gave birth to us. They sacrificed so that we could survive. We shall never forget..never.

p464600492.jpg

The place of honor will always be reserved for our elders.

Thank you.

I have had the honor and pleasure to bring to you all at OPF, some of our remembrances of our travels.
I have also tried to give you some glimpse of our culture, family and friends.

Hi Fahim,

Thanks for the glimpse into your native world and customs, and for taking us along as a companion on your travels.

Kind regards,
Bart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Fahim,

If folk could take one message, respect, then pictures of the elders treating each other well, is a start!

Asher