• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Broken headstone

Nichole Lampron

This is a manipulated headstone I found while walking an old cemetary looking for some good shots.

IMG00136M2.jpg

Out of the million or so ways to manipulate an image it would be intriguing to understand why you chose this one. What did you have in mind? Merely looking at this image gives no clue to your artistic insight.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Yes it is a headstone I found and then manipulated.

Hi Nicole,

This picture might do well on many a wall. However, it seems distant from me right now. Do you have some narrative to go with it, like the relevance to your changes to the picture based on your own feelings, or perhaps, you have divorced the image of the gravestone from the entity, "Gravestone" and it's now a pattern, a composition and meant to be intriguing and interesting and pleasant to look at, and that's the end of it?

Have you other pictures that you might say fit in a series with this one. The reason why I ask is that, as a generalization which often has value, single pictures like this are hard to fathom. However as one experiences a set of such creative works, one gets more of a sense of your own esthetic choices and values.

Right now, the picture catches my attention but it's small and rather delicate so I have some difficulty in reach it. I do not have any prejudice or distaste for photoshop manipulation. (In fact I do a lot myself but eschew that word as seeming negative).

However, the use of filters and alterations that follow some mindset of yours becomes interesting. So, I hope you have more like this to share as I'd like to come aboard and get closer to your work.

Asher

Nichole Lampron

I worked on this image with different idea in mind and this was the one that came very close to what I had in mind when I took the shot. I try to think ahead of time what I want the image to look like, either by just minor tweaks to full blown manipulations like this one is. I only had the basic idea when I started and then this came out.

As for others that would fit into a series with this one, no I don't. Well, not yet. It's a work in progress you could say.

Thanks for the comment, I really appreciate it. It's helps me to see things from another's perspective.

Joe Thomas

I like your vision with this shot Nichole. This is a great photograph on its own but I can see something like this coming out of a movie poster. I think you did a nice job in post too.

One suggestion that I would like to make is to my eyes it seems a little blurry. Is there a way to sharpen the tombstone itself a bit?

Great find!

Nichole Lampron

Thank you Joe. It took me sometime to find that particular look for that headstone. I did what I could to sharpen the image in my program and then did my manips and when I did this was the result I had. I noticed that it's not as sharp as the original image.

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Nicole; if you like your results on this image that's really all that counts.

But to my eye you've ruined what could have been an interesting image of an interesting subject. Your digital over-exhuberance has almost totally obscured what's significant in the subject; the inscription. It's awful.

You asked for opinions, that's mine.

Nichole Lampron

Ken that is what I am looking for, thank you. I want other perspectives on this image to see what I may have done wrong or could have improved on or something.