• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A lick of paint and it'll be alright!

Gregg Simpson

I found this wreck last week while out with the camera club, taken at dusk against the back drop of the chemical works. May be it says something about our throw away culture?

Spring2010-5d-01324.jpg

Gregg Simpson - "A lick of paint and it'll be alright!"​

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I found this wreck last week while out with the camera club, taken at dusk against the back drop of the chemical works. May be it says something about our throw away culture?

Spring2010-5d-01324.jpg

Gregg Simpson - "A lick of paint and it'll be alright!"​

Gregg,

What a quick wit you have! I laughed and laughed! This is so funny. I expected to see an elderly dame putting on lipstick or a car salesman selling an old Buick with a few scratches. This was an utter surprise! Thanks for sharing!

I do not mind the wood slowly decomposing in the water, as long as there's lots of it. In a large body of water, this is just good natural recycling, except for the paint and any odd bits of metal scrap that haven't been scavenged already. If all man left behind were such wooden structures, the planet would be smiling too!

I do like the layering of the picture with the top having the giant metal chemical storage, then horizontal bands of green, next the boat and lastly the water and shore grasses. It's in fact a gradient from gross anti-life-industrial to pure nature. Perfect! This colored picture does also appear to render well into B&W too, albeit with effort to allocate different hues to sets of tones that brought out the structure of the boat as more white.

Did the trip give you others with this much range of character?

Asher

Gregg Simpson

Asher,

Thanks for your comments, I like to look for subjects like this especially when they are against an industrial landscape. I don't quite understand Doug's remark "almost looks like a photograph".

Regards

Gregg

Gregg Simpson

Hi Doug,

Yes it has been processed, Lightroom user preset "creative catalyst 48", used this to 'pull the boat out of the mud' as you might say, the lighting was quite flat just before sunset. I think it was the best option without going overboard (pun intended) with processing.

Thanks.

Gregg

Doug Kerr

Hi, Gregg,

Yes it has been processed, Lightroom user preset "creative catalyst 48", used this to 'pull the boat out of the mud' as you might say, the lighting was quite flat just before sunset. I think it was the best option without going overboard (pun intended) with processing.

Well, it's a very handsome result.

Best regards,

Doug